no AM radio reception?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdnewbie

Reaction score
:confused2:

Just got a new to me 04 Z71 with Bose 6-CD radio.
Radio only gets FM stations.
I only get static on the AM side.

Is there a fix for this?

02TahoeBoy

Reaction score
Hmmm. Are you able to visually changes stations? For example, when you seek do you see the station number changing? Also could it be theres nothing broadcasting strong enough to each you? Just a thought

Mdnewbie

Reaction score
Yes, I am able to see the AM station numbers?
Don't believe the AM signals are too weak because my wife's Saturn and my old minivan got all the AM stations with no problem.

CincinnatiZ

Reaction score
I would check to make sure you are getting a clean conect at the antenna. They vibrate loose after time. Make sure its screwed down tight. Also, on the rear of your head unit, there is an big black insulated wire - thats is your antenna wire. If that has come lose, that will also cause problems with reception. How is the FM sounding? Loud and clear?

Is your head unit stock or aftermarket? How many locations have you tested your AM signal?

midwest

Reaction score
:confused2:

Just got a new to me 04 Z71 with Bose 6-CD radio.
Radio only gets FM stations.
I only get static on the AM side.

Is there a fix for this?

I have this exact problem. I pulled the radio and the antenna is plugged in tight. Where is the antenna on the truck?

03 Denali XL

midwest

Reaction score
Passanger side infront of the mirror. Its that tall pointy thing:thumbsup:

Thats funny. I resisted asking that question. I have had the truck for a week and damned if I could remember seeing it there. (I'm at work, truck is home)

midwest

Reaction score
Passanger side infront of the mirror. Its that tall pointy thing:thumbsup:

Problem solved! The antenna is missing. I thought it was integrated somewhere else on the vehicle. Now to find one that will screw on the threaded base.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can pretty much get a universal antenna mast from anywhere, I think they are threaded the same.

Mdnewbie

Reaction score
Problem solved! Thank guys for the responses.
Turns out, my truck was missing the antenna.
Since I could hear all the FM stations, I thought the hard plastic antenna on the roof was for the radio but it must be for the satellite and Onstar only. Never thought to check for the missing antenna until reading your posts.
Bought a $8 antenna yesterday and screwed it in.