no sound from aftermarket stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

medic-04

Reaction score
I have a 2001 yukon xl with onstar that is not used. I bought a new aftermarket stereo and installed with provided harness adapter. Power comes on and everything seems to work on the HU, but there is no sound. I searched around the web for anyone that might have the same problem but came up with only a few similar questions. the understanding i have is that the factory amplifier will conflict with the preamp built into the aftermarket stereo. but how do you bypass the preamp? The remote antenne is hooked up to the remote wire on the harness, but nothin'. Now there is the main harness input on the factory radio, and there is another 10 or so pin harness that also attatches to the back of the factory radio. There is nowhere for this other 10 pin connector to go on the aftermarket unit or harness adaptor. Is this related ? Someone PLEASE help!!!

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the factory BOSE system? If so that is how you should search. I have not run into the exact problem you have (still have factory head unit) but at least I can help point you in the right search direction.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That "10 pin" harness is your aux features like the Xm radio ,onstar, DVD player , ETc. etc.. you should pull out your harness and re-verify that you are tapped into the speakers from your HU to the truck. Sometimes I have noticed if you use a harness thats non onstar with an onstar system the wiring is different.
even though you dont use onstar you still have the hardware hooked up. so thats why i said to verify from the HU that you are running into the correct audio wires to the truck through the harness. chances are you may be just tapped into the wrong wire :) simple fix ...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
On the 10 pin harness, you will need to power the pink wire. Run the remote turn on from your new stereo to this wire.

tattootrig

Reaction score
Hi all... this is my first post here and I am sure it will not be my last. I just installed an aftermarket into my '02 and like this thread, had no sound. I used the pink wire jump like JK suggested and it now works like a champ. My question is, is it possible to get the onstar and the rear passenger controls to still work? The secondary controls are not that important, just seems strange to have something there that does not work.

Thanks alot guys, and thanks for a great forum.

Trigger

Spykedamonsta

Reaction score
Well can someone please help me? By the way I'm new and im SPYKEDAMONSTA I have a 1999 yukon denali and it has the bose factory system in the head unit has a tape player with a cd player below it , and in the console there's a cd changer. What I want to know is it bought a new head unit a 7 inch flip out screen but the problem is it has no REMOTE WIRE, I keep watching videos and reading the same thing cut into the pink wire and tie the blue/white wire around it and it will work but do to me not having the blue / white wire how will I get it to work???????

Mike.yan22

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Chevy tahoe and I am trying to put I a new ddin head unit. I have a bose factory stereo in now with on star and rear entertainment. I had bought the rp5-gm11 Interface to keep the chimes and on star. I connect the rp5 Into the harness with went into the back of factory radio but can't not get no sound.

I don't know own if I have to remove the old amplifier if I do what do I do with the wire that could next I to it

Somebody please help me

jkslade1985

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Chevy tahoe and I am trying to put I a new ddin head unit. I have a bose factory stereo in now with on star and rear entertainment. I had bought the rp5-gm11 Interface to keep the chimes and on star. I connect the rp5 Into the harness with went into the back of factory radio but can't not get no sound.

I don't know own if I have to remove the old amplifier if I do what do I do with the wire that could next I to it

Somebody please help me
Former car audio installer here. Whenever we had a factory system we would do one of two things. Either run new wire to all the speakers (this was usually for smaller cars) or we would search for the factory amp disconnect it and start narrowing down what wires lead to speakers on the output with the 9v test.

In case you don't know the 9v test, you take a 9v battery and touch 2 leads to the terminals. This will cause the speaker to make an audible pop. Once you hear the pop you will want to look at the speaker that made the noise to see what direction it pops. If it pops out you have the correct polarity on the wires. If it pops out you will need to reverse the wires to have the positive and negative wires ran correctly.

Once you have figured out which speakers go to what wires you can run new wires from the aftermarket harness to the correct wires.

From the harness:
White is front driver side
Gray is front passenger
Green is rear driver side
Purple is rear passenger

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Torey

Reaction score
If you could help

Hey guys i have a 2002 Tahoe. No on-star or Bose just factory sub and amp. I wired the aftermarket radio and plugged it up. It turns on but no sound. I did research and everybody is saying on the second harness there is a pink wire. Problem is i do not have a second harness. I really do not want to take it to a shop and i can do it myself. Can some please help me.

ueww40

Reaction score
Has anybody seen my post "2004 Tahoe radio swap"?. It amazes me that I haven't had one reply so far. Maybe I am on the wrong forum. Would you please look at it and see if you have some idea what I can do. It is similar to what is going on here on this post. Thanks.

Packers27

Reaction score
2001 yukon xl 1500 no bose but factory amp

I'm needing some help wiring up an aftermarket 2din head unit and I'm very confused. I have a 2001 Yukon XL 1500. I have a factory Amp but it's NOT a Bose system. The aftermarket radio is a cheap 2din Chinese model 7018B. If it's possible, I'd like to keep letting my factory Amp control all of the original speakers but I want to install an aftermarket amp thats gonna work with an aftermarket subwoofer. Is this possible to do this and not bypass the amp? Also, I don't think my truck has a main power wire, so what wire should I be looking for and how do I make that connection? Also, I have another factory plug(10 pins I think). This may have powered the ONSTAR, cassette player and etc so what wires are needed from that harness and how does that hook up? Also, the harness adapter I have has a section that doesn't have any pins in it. Does pins have to be inserted into this? I have alot of questions and really need your help. Thank you!!!

Packers27

Reaction score
Also,, I might add that it's not a 10 pin but a 9-pin secondary harness. It has the pink wire bare wire orange grey Etc. It seems that this truck doesn't have a main power wire but just a data signal wire. I'm having problems locating it because I can't even turn on my head unit

Packers27

Reaction score
Ok update. I got the head unit powered. Now my questions are, can I continue to use my factory Amp to run my existing speakers without bypassing it. Again, can I also run an aftermarket amp from the head unit to power an aftermarket sub