Non-selling dealer's responsibility to service your Tahoe...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How responsible is a non-selling dealer for warranty servicing of your vehicle? I gave this relatively local dealer first dibs on selling me an S Plan Tahoe; no hassles, no dealing. All he had to do was open the book, show me the price, and boom!, deal. The dealership didn't even give me the courtesy of a reply to their on-line form that I filled out. When GM contacted me regarding their response to my query, I told them what happened, and the next day they were on the phone with me, apologetic and ready to talk to me. At that point though I had already ordered a Tahoe from a Chevy salesman neighbor of my daughter.......250 miles from where I live.

This is a little small town country dealership, and they obviously know I got it somewhere else. Either the service guys need a lesson on how to treat customers, or they're just pissed I got it somewhere else and having them service it.

So this big setup is to ask if you can be refused warranty service because you didn't buy it there?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM dealers should service ANY GM VEHICLE no matter where you buy it. Other wise onstar could not work as they could not tow your truck to the nearest service center. THeir just being way to unprofesional and makeing a personal matter out of it. which would bring BBB in to the matter than. if i did that i would be bankrupt in a week. IF i down right hate one of my clientels i still need to treat them like everybody else or i could get sued.

that is wrong, they have no right to refuse you service. i bought my yukon in PA and service it here at the local dealer, now mind you we have gotten 4 vehicles through them since, but i serviced it even before we bought one of their cars.

call gm again.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM dealers should service ANY GM VEHICLE no matter where you buy it. Other wise onstar could not work as they could not tow your truck to the nearest service center. THeir just being way to unprofesional and makeing a personal matter out of it. which would bring BBB in to the matter than. if i did that i would be bankrupt in a week. IF i down right hate one of my clientels i still need to treat them like everybody else or i could get sued.

that is wrong, they have no right to refuse you service. i bought my yukon in PA and service it here at the local dealer, now mind you we have gotten 4 vehicles through them since, but i serviced it even before we bought one of their cars.

call gm again.

Hehe, I love your english. One of your "clientels"? :D

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...So this big setup is to ask if you can be refused warranty service because you didn't buy it there?

I've had excellent service experiences at dealership service centers that were not part of the dealership that I purchased from. In fact, I take my Dodge to a dealership (not where I purchased it), because of the great service I get there.

I suspect that GM is no different; and in fact, the service center is usually the one of the biggest profit centers of any dealership. If anything, they'd be thankful that they didn't LOSE money on the original sale, and will only stand to make more of it in service with your vehicle. GM pays the dealership for warranty service, and it's this "back end" money that enables them to make much of their profit. Obviously, they make money on manufacturer financing, but it's all part of the "back end".

I would certainly not worry about this if I were you, unless you're getting terrible service when you take it there.

sdoo25

Reaction score
You can get service done at any GM dealership. I also believe that they can refuse service for any reason, as stupid and detrimental to their business as that might be. I actually use the GMC dealer that I bought my Envoy from (don't have it any longer) to service the 'Burb (and the Tahoe before that). On thing that the service advisor at the GMC dealership did tell me was that he couldn't do warranty work on the Tahoe (and the 'Burb), I had to have that done at a Chevy dealership. So in my experience the warranty work has to be done at Chevy, but any dealer can be used for other service.

Tom

Auburn

Reaction score
I bought my Tahoe from a Chevy dealer that was not close to my house as I wanted certain features and could only find one on a lot in a 200 mile radius. I get all my service done by another Chevy dealership and they have never refused warranty work.

This is the same that I have done for my TL, my G35, my Toyota truck, and my civics.

I do know that warranty work normally has to be handled by the brand that the car is. For instance, I could have work done on my Acura TL at a honda dealership, but warranty work had to be done at Acura. It has to do with the rates that warranty work is paid at and who is paying it.

JAGastrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should all service the car, BUT, there are certain things they will not do. For example, if you purchase your Yukon from Sewell GMC in Dallas, you get free loaner cars every time you go in for something as simple as an oil change. Sewell also does Lexus, Cadillac, and every other luxury brand. They will service a GMC purchased from another dealer, but you dont get pampered with the loaner cars, etc.