o2 sensor removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnicks01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I attempted to try and get my bank 1 downstream 02 sensor off yesterday. Of course, Chevy decided to make it hard on us and put the sensor on the top of the pipe, next to the frame and heat shield, making it nearly impossible to get a wrench in there. Has anyone replaced these and is there a trick or special tool that I can buy to get it off?

Budreau68

Reaction score
Special Tool

They do sell specific sockets for O2 sensor removal. Basicaly a deep well with one side cutout for the wire to stick out. Would that work?

keithhernadez

Reaction score
they make the special tool with the slit in the side with the sockt hole on the side of it

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in addition to the tool i used some penetrating lubricant to loosen them up a bit. it came right out once i finally found the right place to slide my hands in. oh, and I also wore latex gloves so I don't get all cut up. just a suggestion

bgrdwgn

Reaction score
Drive down to the auto parts store and pick up some anti-seize. Drive back home and slide under the truck with your 7/8ths. The exhaust won't be to hot and the sensor will come out easy. I used a rag to hold the sensor from twisting back while I turned it. The anti-seize means next time you don't have to heat it up.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found it easiest to use a box end (I'm in Canada so metric tools are needed) to loosen it initially then use the socket with the slot in the side. A couple of times I've found the slot side socket starting to round the corners. I used the box end as a precuation against having them rounded off and not being able to get them out.
Regards
Tom G.