Oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otowngator

Reaction score
What is the correct milelage to change your oil?? I have an 03 Tahoe and I've always tried to change around 3-4 K. But I've seen lots of articles on the web that say this is just a marketing ploy and realitically I shouldn't have to change until 7 K ?? Help!! :yar:

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can either wait until your change oil light comes on, change at 3,000 or 5,000, I run Mobil 1 and change every 5,000 miles as it's easy to remember (125,000-130,000 etc).

I would change at 3,000 using conventional oil.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change every 3000-3500. I am a tech for volvo and we recomend every 3750. What i do in my truck, is change the oil when the "oil life %" is 50%. That way i always know when its time. So i change it at 50% and at 0%, then reset it.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I also am an auto tech. That being typed, I wait for the lil idiot light to come one before I change my oil. IIRC I got about 5000-5500 mile on my last change.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
isnt this always a matter of great debate? use a good filter and good oil and dont be scared toi run 4-5k... i have heard more than enough times that between new technology in cars and higher quality oil and filters; the 3k mile oil change is out... I just switched to synth(royal purple) and use a mobil 1 filter and i plan to change my oil ever 6k.

If you change your oil based on the DIC oil life built into your truck, you will see that it is about 5k miles, i dont think chevy is secretly trying to fool the world into breaking their trucks with poor maintinance

tahoebigah

Reaction score
I change mine around 10k-15k it is at 225k miles and stills runs strong. I also use famous walmart oil! lol It has alot of miles on it so even if it does blow they are cheap enough now to replace.

Jeremy_K

Reaction score
I'm over 4000 on this oil change. First time using the K&N oil filter. I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic and the oil looks like the day I put it in.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the switch to Royal Purple about 1000 miles ago and also used the K&N oil filter... I decided to use the K&N because i always heard when you switch to Sythetic it breaks a lot of the old grime out so i wanted to use the best oil filter i could get... Not sure i will continue to use the K&N oil filter though as i dont think it is worth the money and im pretty sure the mobil one will perform jsut as well... what do you think?