Oil Pressure Gauge Pegs at 80 at All Times...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PWagon

Reaction score
Just today I noticed that my oil pressure gauge pegs out at 80 psi anytime my engine is running. I checked my oil, and it's at normal level (on the dip stick). The oil looks fine (no milky look, so I can rule out a leaky head gasket possibility). About a year ago I had all my step motors rebuilt/replaced in my gauge cluster, so I can't imagine it being a step motor issue. Any ideas???

Attachments

• IMG_2520.jpg
    IMG_2520.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 6

Colesdad

Reaction score
Does it read 0 before the engine is running? Or, does it read 80 at all times and never move?

PWagon

Reaction score
It goes straight to 80 psi when I turn the key to on (without starting the engine). I can start the engine and it goes back to zero then back to 80 psi.

Colesdad

Reaction score
Your oil pressure sending unit has probably gone bad. It's located behind the intake manifold, if your facing the engine it would be on your right hand side at the very back. It's hard to reach and you won't be able to see it.

After seeing a picture of where it is and what it looks like, I was able to locate it blindly and disconnect the wiring harness. They make a special socket for the sensors removal/installation. I bought the deep well version because the sending units are different for various years. It was a little tough getting the new unit started in the threads but I was able to accomplish it after a few try's and a short prayer. I snugged it up tight enough that I didn't think it would leak and loose enough that it didn't destroy the threads. I don't know the proper torque for it.

video here

in the video above the guy runs out of room on his phone while filming and actually makes a part 2 to complete it. It is just reversing the removal procedure.

Last edited:

aircrafty1

Reaction score
Hello what is the part number of the oil pressure sending unit please for a 2005 Tahoe 5.3l ls thanks.