Onstar Renewal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flwildcat

Reaction score
Call me cheap but I think the OnStar prices are a little high. :ack:

My subscription is coming to an end and I was wondering if anyone was aware of available discounts and/or if OnStar is agressive on win-back opportunities like XM is if I just allow the subscription to expire. Anyone know?

Thanks!

vaTahoe

Reaction score
I think they were easier to negotiate with when they only dealt with GM- Now we are just a number and they are very HIGH

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, I just contacted them yesterday. Seems I had given them my credit card info when I first got my Tahoe for a promotional 100 minutes of phone service for $15.00. I got hooked for automatic renewal. I like the service, but it's wayyy overpriced! I think the problem is their lack of available packages. They need a package that doesn't include cell service. If they had something for maybe $8.95 a month, I'd bite.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called to cancel. I told them it wasn't worth (for me) the price they wanted. They countered with a lower price. 'would you renew for $XX a month?'

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok!! How nuch was $xx a month, I haven't solve ecuations since college:ack:

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never renewed with them yet in any of the cars I owned with Onstar. Really never saw the need.
As far as price......this will make you laugh. A few years back with my '04 Burbon, I locked the keys in the car and my subscription was expired. They wanted around 275.00 to renew and unlock doors. Glass was 95.00 my cost. This was a no brainer. Got the vacuum and ordered the glass.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the directions and connections plan and yeah, it is a little overpriced, but as much as I use it, it just doesn't matter. I use the handsfree calling all the time when I'm on the road, I use the traffic and weather info all the time, and I abuse the directions service since I'm on the road so much lately. To me, I can't see cancelling my subscription becuase of price, I hate to say it, but I'm addicted!

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never renewed with them yet in any of the cars I owned with Onstar. Really never saw the need.
As far as price......this will make you laugh. A few years back with my '04 Burbon, I locked the keys in the car and my subscription was expired. They wanted around 275.00 to renew and unlock doors. Glass was 95.00 my cost. This was a no brainer. Got the vacuum and ordered the glass.

I'm with you bro! I would have done the same; thry're crazy if they think I'm going to pay 275.00 to renew a subscription so that they can unlock the car. I know somebody that would do it for about 25.00, he is a professional at what he does!

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used it twice during the trial, neither time could they unlock it. She called tonight for a renew, I just laughed at her.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used it twice during the trial, neither time could they unlock it. She called tonight for a renew, I just laughed at her.

I hear you bro! I got a letter from onstar stating that after January 2008 I may not have service in my area because of that new FCC rule that doesn't mandate that the cellular phone carriers offer analog service anymore. They stated that they operate with analog signal and the cellular carriers in my area weren't provide that service anymore.

Hopefully the won't call me for renewal or I'll do the same thing you did:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

KSEngineer

Reaction score
The only issue I have with OnStar is that you are tied to Verison for cell phone service. I would pay double if I could use my AT&T service with my Onstar for handsfree.

I feel that we as GM owners paid for equipment that is limited in use for GM's gain rather than set up for the owners. GM should provide a contract option for optional cell phone carriers, until then they won't get a dime from me just out of principal.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like the piece of mind of having it, i only got the safe and sound plan as i have a nav system, 200 for a whole year aint a bad deal for all you get with it. i cheat and if i forget my keys in the office but dont feel like getting them i call and ask them to unlock and BOOM done.

JOHINIEBGOOD, you should have ordered it, unlocked the doors, then canceled the next day. then it would have saved you the trouble of broken glass.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of posters mentioned the OnStar hands-free cell phone feature. It really pisses me off that ONLY Verizon users get to apply their minutes to this feature/option. :mad2: I know it's probably all about OnStar utilizing Verizon's network and all (or whatever deal was made), but something as popular and needed as hands-free? Come on, OnStar should provide this feature w/ @ least most of the major cell phone carriers like Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc...etc... Or @ least offer a slightly extra fee if you would like to piggy-back the network w/ your carrier... My wife has bluetooth built into her ride and it works wonderfully... I'm kinda hatin' on her for that...:rolleyes2:...but I did want this feature for her and she does talk way more than me on the celly!:lol:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of posters mentioned the OnStar hands-free cell phone feature. It really pisses me off that ONLY Verizon users get to apply their minutes to this feature/option. :mad2: I know it's probably all about OnStar utilizing Verizon's network and all (or whatever deal was made), but something as popular and needed as hands-free? Come on, OnStar should provide this feature w/ @ least most of the major cell phone carriers like Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, etc...etc... Or @ least offer a slightly extra fee if you would like to piggy-back the network w/ your carrier... My wife has bluetooth built into her ride and it works wonderfully... I'm kinda hatin' on her for that...:rolleyes2:...but I did want this feature for her and she does talk way more than me on the celly!:lol:

i agree, i have att for my i phone, but i just buy minutes for 50 bucks and get 100 minutes every 4 months or so, of traffic and weather updates.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife just purchased / or extended her plan, which I think was $299.00
It is expensive, but we don't have a cell phone, so it was just convenient.

Mystic_angeleyes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my OnStar and will definitely renew it!. It has already saved me on the lock out. My Toy Fox Terrier locked me out! Lol... and Probably gonna share minutes with my Verizon phone!

yukc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They called me to renew the saftey and security plan and came down in price. I renewed for 148.92 thats a little over 12 a month. I think its a good deal. Plus if I add an extra line to my family share plan for 9.99/mo my car basically becomes a cell phone, sweet. Until cell phone driving is banned in CA in July it makes more sense to buy minutes than an extra $120 a year since I don't use it everyday.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should have just offered bluetooth so I wouldn't have to worry about another frickin cell plan. GM's got to get their dime though, bastards.