OnStar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So has anyone tried to renew their onstar subcription and found out you couldnt do it anymore. It turns out that since the fcc changed everything to digital anything that is analog will no longer work. You gotta go to a dealer an have an "upgrade" installed you guy can check this out at www.onstar.com or press the onstar button in your trucks and will let you know if you need an upgrade or not. The only problem is you gotta get the upgrade asap while supplies last or you cant get it anymore later on.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never been a huge fan of the onstar, what happens if I roll my truck down a canyon and there aren't any cell towers around? Seems like a good idea for all the soccer moms that lock their keys in the car but the last thing I want is for anyone to know where my truck is or how fast it might be traveling, if it gets stolen I've got insurance.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like it as it saves me a very good bit on my insurance (almost 20% alone)

but thankefully mine is new enough to be a duel band that works on analog and digital signals with out me even knowing.

i wish the FCC would just FO and leave it the same as analog is like 20-25 miles range per antenna while digital is 5 miles per antenna, so there is far less range requioring more antennas to keep up with all the cars.

bamachevy89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I use it all the time. I've gotten used to being able to push the phone button and get the weather, stock reports and traffic info and stuff. I have the Directions and Connections plan, too, works great when my wife drives (she has absolutely no sense of direction). Anyways, I'd probably be pretty mad if mine didn't work anymore but it has the duel-band.

jperaino

Reaction score
I use it and really like it. Especially if you attach it to your Verizon Family Plan and share minutes with your OnStar phone. It gives you a sense of security and is well worth the money.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So has anyone tried to renew their onstar subcription and found out you couldnt do it anymore. It turns out that since the fcc changed everything to digital anything that is analog will no longer work. You gotta go to a dealer an have an "upgrade" installed

Yup, we went through that last year. Be sure to make sure it works after they upgrade it - we had to take it back to the dealer because of a defective unit or something.