Opening a can of worms...1/4" aluminum wheel spacer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my new 20" wheels that have a slightly more positive offset (+35mm) when compared to the stock 20" wheels (+31mm). The fronts look perfect and sit just inside the wheel well. The backs look ok but would look better if I could move them out a little. I have found 1/4" aluminum wheel spacers that simply slide over the existing studs and then you put the wheel back on like normal. Installing the 1/4" spacer will move the new wheel out by only 2mm further the stock position so lug length is not an issue and any impact on suspension/bearings/etc./etc. will not be an issue. Any TRUE/actual concerns/issues using these on the rear wheels only of my 2007 Tahoe (2WD):

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=7998&affiliateid=10050

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put these on my old z71 silverado years ago and kept breaking studs off until I removed them. I wouldn't do it!

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree...it looks great the way it is....it's only when I am sitting in front a computer thinking numbers it does not...then when I see the truck after work it looks great. Staying away from clap trap spacers.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree to some extent, but I would liike someone to give a technical reason why a 1/8" or 3/16" machined billet aluminum (or steel) spacer could cause problems...please? In order to safely get 140 ft-lb of torque on a 5/8" lug, you need at least 0.5" or available thread (or approximately 8 full turns of the nut) to safely achieve that torque without fear of snapping the lug. Machined aluminum billet or steel spacer will never deform as long as the nuts are tightened in the star pattern and torqued to the same value. The Tahoe lugs have much more than 0.5" of available thread on them so even taking out the thread you lose if you were to use even a 3/16" spacer, you still have no chance of snapping a lug. Lastly, there is NO WAY that 4mm of extra spacing could possibly have a detrmental affect on the Tahoe's bearings and/or suspension components. If it could, I would trade it in for a Toyota Tundra...let the beatings begin...hehhee

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree to some extent, but I would liike someone to give a technical reason why a 1/8" or 3/16" machined billet aluminum (or steel) spacer could cause problems...

Sure, it basically comes down to leverage. Using a spacer increases the distance away from the stud's mount point thus increasing the amount of force your wheel has to snap a stud off. While an 1/8" might not seem like a lot, when you hit a bump that can translate to a whole lot of additional force, enough to possibly break a stud. Will you be fine with an 1/8" spacer, probably for a while, but eventually i think that extra beating on your studs will take its toll.

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...

Sure, it basically comes down to leverage. Using a spacer increases the distance away from the stud's mount point thus increasing the amount of force your wheel has to snap a stud off. While an 1/8" might not seem like a lot, when you hit a bump that can translate to a whole lot of additional force, enough to possibly break a stud. Will you be fine with an 1/8" spacer, probably for a while, but eventually i think that extra beating on your studs will take its toll.

You got that right!

Mad Dawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:iagree: Get yourself another set of wheels that have the built-in offset needed for the look you want. Safety should never be compromised for aesthetics.

botomgun

Reaction score
:Safety should never be compromised for aesthetics.

Agree 100%. Your first post asked for feedback on the use of spacers, but you second post looked like you were trying to defend the use. Invest for the long haul.....and be safe!

VadersOwnZ71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also ask myself this: is a 1/4 inch REALLY going to make that big a difference visually anyways? I doubt it. Go ahead, hold up your pointer finger and thumb like an OK sign. Now open your fingers to a 1/4 inch. Not much is it? Even if only a small portion of what people are saying here about the dangers of using a spacer are true, its probably not worth it for that tiny amount that you probably won't even be able to see with the wheels on anyway.

The ONLY way I would use a spacer is if I absolutely had to for real clearance issues (with a caliper or with some suspension part). And if I needed that, it means my wheel offset is waaaaayy off in the first place.

OK, you can put your fingers down :)