paint job?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much would one expect to pay for a color change, im not real worried about the engine bay but i do want the door jambs painted. going for tan to black, anyone in south TX with a hook up?:D

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really depends on how good of a job you want done. Maaco or Earl Sheib could probably get it done for 1000-1500 bux but it won't be the greatest quality. A good quality color change job will probably run you $5-6k, maybe more because of the size of the vehicle.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing mine this week myself using du pont chroma system going from grey to jet black pearl:cool2: I've spent about 650 bucks so far on sandpaper paint clear and all the stuff. Planing to spray on Tuesday 1-8. Started teardown last thurs! Quick turnaround.. Lots of long hours

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want a good paint job..you're probably looking at 5-6k

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not looking for a show quality paint, i just want it to look decent. maaco do any good?

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad had Maaco do my old Blazer S-10 when someone keyed my car (didn't you love high school?)

They matched the paint exactly, couldn't tell the difference.

My buddy took his Merc Tracer into the same shop for a teal to anodized blue job. Exterior looked great but there were runs in the trunk area and door jambs. Missed a couple spots behind the weatherstripping and such (we only noticed while running cabling for his stereo.

Of course, this was in the 90s.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Maaco I don't think much has changed. Good place to get a cheap paint job and get the job done, but they can't get near OEM quality even if you buy their "most expensive" paint job - I had a hood painted there and it does have some runs and it is not even remotely as durable as a factory paint job.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color jey?

My Blazer was that tan/light beige color. It held the same color for a good 4 years before I sold it.

I have no idea what level job it was, but I expect it was probably the cheapest (insurance paid).

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruby Mica Red. Since red is one of the hardest colours to maintain you probably will have better luck with almost any other color. The car is 10 years old and the hood is 18 months with the fresh coat of paint, and the hood already looks worse than the rest of the car :lol: Owell, it kept the apartment complex happy and that's all I needed it to do.

johnboy600

Reaction score
macco is garbage never go there i am a painter if u were to bring your car to the shop i work at the cheapist would proboly be around 10 or 12k depending on the color

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry but im not spending damn near what the car is worth to paint it! im not trying to win a show or anything.... so Maaco here i come!

Chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do paint it go with pastel green, it's the rage these days.

Seriously, though I'd like to see one in Chevrolet orange.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thought about that atomic orange, but decided to murder it out

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry but im not spending damn near what the car is worth to paint it! im not trying to win a show or anything.... so Maaco here i come!

But we also don't want to see you DECREASE the value of your car by getting a cheap paint job.

Is there anything wrong with the paint on the car as it stands? I can see if you've got paint damage using Maaco as a cheap fix, but we also don't want to see you ruin your car (and its resale value) by getting a low quality paint job that is going to start looking like junk in a couple years when there was nothing wrong with it to begin with.

If you're going to get the whole car painted at Maaco I'd research around, because I'm sure the quality varies even from shop to shop in one small area.

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 to 12 thousand dollars for a paint job?

Wow. Just... wow.

I mean, we are talking a Tahoe right? I didn't stumble into CorvetteShowCarForum.com did I?

Wow.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Johnboy, you must work at a pretty good quality shop. What kind of work do you guys generally do? a 10-12k repaint is usually reserved for guys with customs or classics trying to get top notch work done.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for 12k...... it had better be platinum paint with real diamond flake:confused:

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid less than that for my truck. Want an OEM style finish... Sell it and buy another one. Black is definately the way to go!

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant sell, bought the ugly brown because i got it for a steal and wife said i could repaint, but there is no way im spending 10K or even 5K on a paint job, im not really looking to resale for a long time so by them time i do the paint job wont matter because ill only get 3500 tops anyway.....i just want black, plain and simple

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go get the $500 Maaco job done. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I mean, you bought an "ugly brown" truck to begin with and seem stoked about it. You seem easy to please.

;)