People with 24"+ Rims... Do you get steering vibration?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300C SRT8

Reaction score
I purchased my Tahoe in early April, and about a month ago I put on 24" Diablo Delta force wheels w/ 305/35/24 Nexxen Tires.

Since then, I have had to have the local shop rebalance the tires 5 times because the steering wheel would shimmy driving at speeds over 65MPH.

Finally, we tried some hub-centric rings because they said that the rims werent sitting on the hubs as snug as they should be. That seemed to have helped a lot. A few days after that, the steering wheel vibration came back again.

I then took the truck down to Americas Tire Co. to see what they could do. They re-balanced the wheels and they said they were a little off. It helped out a lot, but there is still some vibration at highway speeds... I dont know what to do? Is this a common issue with these trucks with wheels this size (and bigger) ? Do any of you guys notice slight a slight vibration/shimmy at highway speeds? I am close to just selling these wheels and going back to stock because of this.

Thanks

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably say that they vibrate because of the crappy tires you have on there. I got POS tires when I got my tire/wheel set up....tires were a brand called Sunny. I had problems getting those to balance BIG time. I went with some Continentals a few months ago and they balanced up perfect and haven't had a problem since. Good luck...

300C SRT8

Reaction score
I appreciate your response. But I believe you have 22" rims from looking at your sig. I have heard a lot of good things about these tires though... ? Even the guys at Americas tires said they were off, but they were able to balance them to "0" with no problem. I wouldnt doubt it though, but I am wondering if this is common with 24"+ rims. The biggest wheels I have had in the past were 22" rims on an 04 Silverado SS which rode perfect. I just wonder if the smaller 35 series tire on a 24" rim is more "Road sensitive" and that this should be expected.

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know a whole lot about those tires other then they are about the least expensive tires out there ..... made in Korea and probably are the not the best you can buy. I was simply stating from my experience of having cheap tires compared to a more reputable company tire. I experienced the same thing.....going to get them balanced and they are "off a little bit". I drive off and within days the steering wheel is shaking. Sometimes it's a crapshoot with these tires and I am sure some people that have the 305/35's will give some input. My guess is if you put a better tire on there...they will balance better and you will not be having these issues.

JSers1

Reaction score
I had nexxens on my old Tahoe and didnt have any problems. But yeah, maybe a more reputable brand might work better because like some said, with cheaper tires, its a crap shoot. One thing though...If when the wheels were installed the lugs werent torqued to the correct specs, then it could cause soem wobble and cause the rotors to warp. This happened when I put 20's on my wife car. The shop did not torque them correctly. I had the wheels balanced several times and while they corrected the minute changes each time, anytime i got above 65 it got vibration. After taking it back to the dealer, they told me the rotors we warped and how wheel shops not torquing the lugs correctly can cause this.

turboedmsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem with my 22" wheels and tire combo. i have yokohama avid tires and have had them balanced several times. I did have warped rotors 8k miles ago but had them and fixed the shake when braking. now i have shaking 65+mph. I think it maybe tire pressure but not sure. i need to get a air compressor and try different pressures.

300C SRT8

Reaction score
I bought an air compressor the other day to try this out myself. I originally used 32PSI in my tires, but then I tried 37PSI and it seems to make it a lot better. My tires say MAX 40PSI so I really dont want to go any higher, but there is a definate decrease in vibration @ 37PSI vs 32PSI... never experienced that before, so thats strange.

CHISTOSO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try having them Road Force Balanced. I had the same problem til I got this done. It's when they balance them on a machine that puts weight on the wheels as the are being balanced, from what I understand.

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try having them Road Force Balanced. I had the same problem til I got this done. It's when they balance them on a machine that puts weight on the wheels as the are being balanced, from what I understand.

I was just about to suggest this also. Where I work, we have found that most 20" and larger wheels typically get a better balance from a road force balancing.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for a rim and tire that big i'd hope they'd only choose to road force balance, if not you went to the wrong shop.

CIATAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2 cents- I am running 24's and get 0 steering wheels shake. I had to insatll the hub centric rings though. the only thing that would cause this problem is 1. wheels are not blanced correct. 2. hub centric rings are not right size. 3. you have wheels that are bent.3. uneven tire ware/ alignment is out.

I would try rotoating the wheels and tires. If that doesn't work, cheack your wheels and balance. you should not have steering wheel shake. I am running pretty cheap tires also nitto's 420's and no tire shake.

good luck

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to remove the tire/wheel and look to see if the small clips that hold the rotor on during production are removed from the studs or not...these will cause the vibration you are experiencing...there are 2 per each rotor.

moneymayweather

Reaction score
I am running 305/35 and have had no problems at all. I have Falken Ziex S/TZ 04 tires if that helps.

jojax

Reaction score
I am running 24 inch DPE Wheels with Yoko Advans 305/35/24 and 0 vibration. Few things as to why you are experiencing vibration as others have said, but I've added a few more. 1) balanced incorrectly, 2) the tires are defective, 3) hubrings are not the right size or not sitting properly on the hub, 4) the wheels are out of round ... they could be defective from the start or you could have bent them. if you experience vibration right when they were new then it is out of round from the manufacturer ... if they didn't vibrate from the beginning and they are now then you could've bent them.

Good luck.

08Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the following to correct my issue. 24" rims with 305/35/24 nankang's:

1. Hubcentric rings
2. 40psi
3. torqued the wheels while they were in the air
4. pray alot.
5. lots of gin and tonics

Jasnite

Reaction score
Steering Vibration

I know this my be a little late but you need to check your lugnuts. Sounds as if they are not long enough and the stud is touching the top of the lugnut. I know. It happened to me 5 years ago. Take one wheel off and screw on one lugnut to see if it is long enough. Once I found longer lugnuts the vibration went away totally. Never a problem again.

Good Luck......

kutza

Reaction score
hub rings, and lug centering the wheels on prior to torquing them on the hubs will help.
Tire brand/quality has a lot to do with ride quality.
I had different tires and balance and ride was an issue too on a different SUV. Finally got Michelein 285-40-22 tires and not a single issue, never had them rebalanced, even after rotations. I an sold on the Brand of tire being a better quality than cheaper brands. You get what you pay for.
I used the following site, and their HP tire dealers to get work done.
www.wheelenvizio.com

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run the 24" with no hub centric rings and my right front wheel has 16.5 ounces of weight on it and at 90 its smooth as silk. I paid 100 to get all 4 tires ROAD FORCED balanced. But you have to find some one who knows how to use this machine. its made by hunter. I have one at my shop and if you dont know how to do it your just as bad, it can take a ****ty tire and make it ride like a top dollar.