Performance mods worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smorse52

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my 07 Z71, but I am wondering if anyone has seen and felt the true results of most of the posted mods for this model, i.e. air intake, exhaust, hypertech programmer, and if the dollar per hp gain is worth the investment or if you felt you should have left some of the mods off. Long story short if the programmer is 300 bucks and it truly made no difference, that is the things I am looking for. Your help is appreciated.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done an intake and a custom tune. The intake helped a little, but the custom tune was absolutely worth every penny, driving with the tune is like night and day. I got my tune from blackbear, it costs $200 if you keep your stock control modules.

smorse52

Reaction score
When you say, if I keep the stock control modules, what does that mean? Forgive me if the question is dumb, but I know nothing about any of these items. My main objective is to ditch the sluggish take off

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my 07 Z71, but I am wondering if anyone has seen and felt the true results of most of the posted mods for this model, i.e. air intake, exhaust, hypertech programmer, and if the dollar per hp gain is worth the investment or if you felt you should have left some of the mods off. Long story short if the programmer is 300 bucks and it truly made no difference, that is the things I am looking for. Your help is appreciated.

What are your performance expectations and budget?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. When you use a handheld programmer it just reprograms your Engine Control Module (ECM) and your Transmission Control Module (TCM). The same is true of a custom tune. You can either have the custom tune done on your stock modules (ECM and TCM) as is done with a handheld, or you can buy new ones from blackbear and have those programmed. This costs more, and is not included in the $200 price.

smorse52

Reaction score
I just want a little less hesitation at take off. I want to lift, and do a ram air style intake system. So enuff power to turn bigger tires. My budget is fair, but I don't want to waste money on things that truly don't make a difference. In the beginning I am looking at spending about 5k. Down the road (as the warranty expires) probably around 10k. So if I buy new modules, is there an advantage?

smorse52

Reaction score
Well, you have a valid point there. So if I modify the stock ecm with new programming then if I have to get it worked on, I could kick it back? Or is there some sort of history showing this?

smorse52

Reaction score
I had a little trouble locating black bear data. What would you say was the gain of hp,mpg, or any other positives I might be missing. I did find a lot of posts on other sites of people who think the world of that tune.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My city MPG didn't change any and I get about +2 hwy now. But I have pretty bad city traffic so I didn't expect a miracle. I don't have any hard numbers for HP, my guess is 20?, but I can tell you it is definitely much more responsive now. If you contact Justin he might be able to give you some average numbers.

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a tune from Justin too... MPG increased from about 15 to 17, driving it pretty hard. If i set the cruise on the freeway at 65-70, i can get 22-23 mpg.

Didn't dyno it, so not sure aobut the actual hp gains, but he can remove a lot of the torque management which would get you off the line a lot faster.

smorse52

Reaction score
Ok. Can I get this done where I am at? like does he send it to you? Everything I read appeared that I would have to go to VA. to get it done.

ucsbguy19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I waited till Justin came out to CA to have him do a tune in person, but he does plenty of mail-order tunes as well. My suggestion would be to email him and discuss your options. I think i remember seeing on another forum that he's heading down to baton rouge sometime soon. Check out gmfullsize.com

JennaBear on this forum would have a lot of info too.

smorse52

Reaction score
Thanks!

I sincerely appreciate all of the info you guys have given me. I will try and contact Justin about the upgrades. Is the items he does similar to what I just read about the hypertech programmer?

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done intake, exhaust and programmer and the programmer is the only one to give any "significant" gains in power. However, what you are looking to do, my suggestion would be GEARS!!!

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Justin is actually going on a tuning trip down in Baton Rouge LA the weekend of Aug 30-31.

smorse52

Reaction score
How do I locate Justin?

Is that his username? I went on the Gmfullsize site to try to locate you guys. Do you have a way for me to contact him?