Pinhead rust colored stains on my white paint.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While giving my Tahoe a much needed Spring bath yesterday, I noticed pinpoint rust colored stains everywhere on the white paint. I verified it was a stain by using a magnifying glass, and by buffing the stain off with a cleaner. There is no perforation of the paint. The mark was definitely a stain and not spray paint or anything like that. I can't figure out what might have caused it. Do truck brake linings have ferrous material in them, or could it come from the drums themselves? I do a lot of hilly Interstate travel with a lot of truck traffic, and perhaps the metal dust could have stuck the finish if it was wet or by static charge. Anyone else ever see these tiny rust stains on a light finish?

aaron72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was another post on this, try doing a search. I'm pretty sure the clay bar was the resolution.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rail dust is usually the culpret. It is micro pieces of metal inbedded in paint. Clay bar your vehicle and it will remove these and other contaminents.

gibbynd

Reaction score
I used the Maguiar's clay bar detailing kit as mentioned in another post. This worked liked a charm. Also got out other spots as well. Just be prepared for some hard work, but it is worth it. Kit is $13 I believe at Autozone.

08_Denali

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my white 2000 Tahoe. I assumed it was some sort of sap (i dont have rail road track near my house).

I use a clay bar, and it worked like a charm.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen on my white 2000 Tahoe. I assumed it was some sort of sap (i dont have rail road track near my house).

I use a clay bar, and it worked like a charm.

Its not from where you live but when GM ships the vehicle from its plant to where ever your destination may be...just about every vehicle made in the US that is shipped via railcar has this...just more visible on lighter colored vehicles.

Armycop

Reaction score
my rust was embedded in the paint!

My 08 Yukon SLT had it all over! It was so bad the dealer agreed to repaint the entire truck. Just got it back tonight, and lo, my "new" paint job still had rust spots! I got the truck sales manager out to the paint shop, showed him the rust spot (left door above the handle) and asked him "So this is GM quality?" The truck goes back next Monday. I'm so pissed, I want to tear up my contract and throw the keys at the sales manager. :mad2: