Please Help ME :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchadhaney

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LT with Onstar and without BOSE. I recently purchased a Kenwood Head Unit and then the PAC OS-1 system. I have double and triple checked my wires.

Here is what is happening:

1. Sometimes the stereo comes on and no sound comes out of the speakers (I am assuming the amp just isn't turning on.)

2. Sometimes after 1. happens the stereo will go into "Protect" mode and will not come out of it until I cut power to it and reset it.

I contacted PAC Audio and they said even though my system is not BOSE I still need the GM OEM-1 adapater since I have a built in amp. I am fine to purchase this but I'm not sure that is the problem and everywhere I look online including here there is no mention of the OEM-1 adapater being needed without it being BOSE even the PAC audio website states that I only need that adapter when I have a BOSE System. I'm afraid the OS-1 is actually faulty and if I buy the OEM-1 adapter I could still be in the same boat.

So, what do I need to do?

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I am NOT a stereo guy, which is to say that if this is an issue with the stereo itself I cannot help. But we have several members here that are well versed in this type of thing and will chime in later on to help you out.

boomtown

Reaction score
Check to see if you have your remote for the amp hooked up. The factory amp has a remote lead wire that needs to be spliced into to new harness in order for the new head unit to turn on the factory amp.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im with Boomtown. The remote amp wire needs to be hooked up in order to turn on the factory amp and get sound out of your stock speakers. The wire is blue in color.

PS if you dont use Onstar, you dont need the module. I also installed a Kenwood HU and didnt need the module (unless i wanted to keep onstar)

boomtown

Reaction score
I just had this problem yesterday. I have an 02 Tahoe without Bose with factory subwoofer. If your stereo has the delco stock deck in it, here is what you need to do:

There are 2 factory plugs in the back of you factory unit (not including the antenna). There is a pink wire that is on the smaller of the 2 plugs (this is the only pink wire). This is the remote turn on wire for your factory amp. Cut the wire and splice it into the power control wire (amp turn on) on you new radio. This will turn on the factory amp when you turn the radio on and you will now have sound.

I bought my radio: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X396 from Crutchfield and it came with all the plugs and and adapters. When I put everthing in, I had the same issue. It worked for a second and then no sound. I call their Tech Support he told me which wire was the amp turn on.

I hope this helps.

By the way, definately get the GM adapter. The wires on the stock radio are all different colors etc from most stereo standards.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pink? Your remote turn on is pink in color? Thats odd...I have the same year make as the OP and mine was blue. Hooked it up and was good to go.

Ill have to look this up in my FSM.

boomtown

Reaction score
Yeah, the wire on the factory harness off the smaller plug was pink. The P. Cont wire on the new harness was blue. The tech at Crutchfield told me which wire it was. It works fine. I hope its the right one. Really any wire that powers on with ignition would work I believe. I'll have to check my manual too.