Plugs / Wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm thinking my 'hoe needs a tuneup. It's 6 years old (built 9/02) and has 65,000 miles. Normally I don't think tuneup until 100k miles... but it kinda feels like it needs it. (less power than I think it should have... worse mileage than I think it should have) I watch HorsepowerTV religiously and they tested the E3 plugs... the design looks cool, and in their test they gained 4HP over the Bosch +4 and it gave better fuel ratings (engine dyno... can't really get EPA). Now, the problem I have is... I don't believe everything I see on TV, even if it is HorsepowerTV. :shhh: Has anyone used these plugs? Are there any reviews of plugs other than the AC Delco Platinum's? I'm also looking at better wires... I had MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm's on my Camaro and I was looking to do that here... however they're like $90! I found Jegs has 8mm or 8.5mm wires for $39-49 respectively. Stock wiring is... ?? I'm thinking 7mm?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garbage. Buy some ngk tr5's part # 2238, can get them at most napa/advance auto. The bosch are crap and you don't need platinum plugs, the $2 ngk can put down 1000hp to the wheels of an lsx then your truck will be just fine. Wires aren't necessary either unless one of them actually fails.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garbage. Buy some ngk tr5's part # 2238, can get them at most napa/advance auto. The bosch are crap and you don't need platinum plugs, the $2 ngk can put down 1000hp to the wheels of an lsx then your truck will be just fine. Wires aren't necessary either unless one of them actually fails.

Yeah... those were other ones I was looking at... either the TR5's or the iridium's... I've used AC Delco rapid fires in my Camaro, but I'm pretty sure they're not even around anymore.... I haven't even considered the Bosch...

I thought the E3's looked like a good thing... and I'm reading mixed reviews.... most of which state they don't do as good in larger engines...

01_Tahoe

Reaction score
I am trying to do a plug/wire replacement right now and I am having problems getting the wires off the plugs. Is there a way to get the metal heat shield off? I have tried twisting the wires, squeeze the ends, sprayed some WD-40 and nothing seems to work. I am trying not to break the wires as best I can but if thats my only option, thats whats going to happen. Any suggestions?

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They still sell the Rapidfires at most auto parts places. It's the AC Delco platinums that you'll have a harder time finding. I had to get them ordered at Advance Auto. Perhaps the auto parts stores get more profit selling the Bosch plugs that they have posters and displays all over the stores for.

lilsolo68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to do a plug/wire replacement right now and I am having problems getting the wires off the plugs. Is there a way to get the metal heat shield off? I have tried twisting the wires, squeeze the ends, sprayed some WD-40 and nothing seems to work. I am trying not to break the wires as best I can but if thats my only option, thats whats going to happen. Any suggestions?

i just used some vice grip pliers with the least amount of grip needed. on some i had to reshape the end if the pliers are too tight, which is pretty simple to do. if you get the right leverage going and use alot of elbow grease its easy, and thats coming from a 25yr old guy who just started wrenching on my own vehicle/atv this year,lol.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got done with the plugs and wires... #2, #7, and #8 were a PITA.... of course it pales in comparison to my '95 Z28... LOL... that was like an all day thing. Anyways, I ended up with NGK TR-5's (V-power) and Duralast wire set (Autozone special...) It feels like I gained my top end back. The LS1-based motors have INCREDIBLE high-rpm power, and I thought that my 'hoe was missing it... I think we fixed it.... it pulls really nicely from 3000+ to redline (1st gear shift point) I got a fuel filter as well, however it's got the wrong end on it, so I'm going to take it back and get another.... this time knowing what filter I need.

Took me about 1-1.25 hours to do all of 'em... the worst being #7. (I believe that's how they number 'em... left to right... alternating sides.. so, all the odd's are on the left... the evens are on the right?) I just applied some elbow grease and wiggled 'em off.... due to my meathook hands and the tight space, I ended up ripping the wire out of #2... then pulling the boot off later... I think I kinked my neck from #7... LOL

I hope to see a small MPG increase... and hopefully I can get the fuel filter soon as well.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got some power back, did you remember to use some anti-seize on the threads and di-electric grease on the plug boots? Should prevent any future issues. I still had the stock plugs in mine when I switched them at 75k, ran way better and idles smoother too.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear you got some power back, did you remember to use some anti-seize on the threads and di-electric grease on the plug boots? Should prevent any future issues. I still had the stock plugs in mine when I switched them at 75k, ran way better and idles smoother too.

Of course! :thumbsup: Mine was already running good, but I did feel like it was a little smoother.... and it DEFINITELY feels better in the higher RPM range. Mine has 65k on it... I thought it would be a good time to do it.

Now, I just need my AEM CAI... I'm hoping to sell my Civic drop kit soon... and I'll use that $$ for the CAI (unless the wifey has another idea)

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is an indication of what is to come, but I took a drive today, cleared out the DIC and watched my mileage as my wife, kid and I drove around to different parks... whole trip was around 16MPG over 20+ miles of city and a LITTLE freeway (~4 miles on the freeway) with a 15 minute idle session at BajaFresh... :thumbsup: Before that, I was averaging around 17-18 in light traffic. :) Since my 'hoe is rated by the EPA at 12/16, I would say 16MPG city is rather acceptable. Of course, it was a small test, not an entire tank... but I'm happy. :)

Davco

Reaction score
I will be taking my in-laws (soon to be my family's) 2003 tahoe into the dealer to have the maintenance done to it (fluid changes across the board). It has 120k on it and the plugs are still the original. The dealer quoted me $320 to change them out:eek:. I told him it seemed high but he said they are hard to get to. If it took you 1.5 hours then I don't think its that hard.

I asked him if it was coil on plugs and he said yes. You guys are talking like we have spark plug wires. It sounds like this guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These trucks have coil packs, which have short leads to the plug itself and rarely need to be replaced.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be taking my in-laws (soon to be my family's) 2003 tahoe into the dealer to have the maintenance done to it (fluid changes across the board). It has 120k on it and the plugs are still the original. The dealer quoted me $320 to change them out:eek:. I told him it seemed high but he said they are hard to get to. If it took you 1.5 hours then I don't think its that hard.

I asked him if it was coil on plugs and he said yes. You guys are talking like we have spark plug wires. It sounds like this guy doesn't know what he is talking about.

$320 is a bit excessive... but you are talking about a dealership. I did everything for around $50 WITHOUT the fuel filter (had to return it... wrong part) As I said... the hardest ones were 2,7,8... the other ones were cake walk. Also... when I say "hard"... I mean... it took a little extra elbow grease or some ingenuity to get them out. 7 and 8 are both tight spaces, and I've got large meathook hands (ring size 15.5... and it's tight)... the hardest part about those was getting the wires off... It's no Honda Civic (all plugs are EASY to get to... and there's only 4), but... it's not that hard, either.

Davco

Reaction score
Everything these days have coil packs (as opposed to the old distributors). On my old 99 cobra the packs were right on top of the plugs. That was what I was asking the dealership. I guess we were both right.

Did you need any special tools (flexible joint) or did you get it all out with just a ratchet, extension and socket?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short extension and an angle socket. I also used a longer extension to get around the steering shaft. Take your time and it will still be done in less than an hour. Might want to take the time and clean out your throttle body and mass air sensor too. Coolant mod is easy to do as well:
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=9785

Davco

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My mom-in-law just came over and I took the opportunity to check it out. I almost laughed out loud because the guy said the plugs are hard to get to. It looks like a truck to me....I feel like I could camp out under the hood with all that room. Totally different than the mustang (of course plugs were easy on the 99 cobra b/c they are on top of the valve covers...kinda).

I'll have the dealer do all the fluids (coolant, power steering, brakes, tranny) and I'll take care of the plugs. I know how to do the fluids but they aggravate me enough to have someone else do it.

One thing I love about these vehicles is that they are easy to get under. I checked out the exhaust b/c I have plans on changing it eventually. Should be pretty easy (catback).

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short extension and an angle socket. I also used a longer extension to get around the steering shaft. Take your time and it will still be done in less than an hour. Might want to take the time and clean out your throttle body and mass air sensor too. Coolant mod is easy to do as well:
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=9785

Yeah, I ended up using a combination of a 1", 3" and 12" extension with... what I call a "retard head"... others call it a "Universal Socket Joint"...
J5270_web_detail.jpg

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was thinkin about doing pluggs and wires... just dont know if the truck needs it at 75k... maybe i will wait another 10k, or maybe when i get bored one saturday and have an extra $50 layin around i will just do it for sh*ts and grins