Poor peformance after synthetic oil change-over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm fairly sure my hoe has been on regular organic for quite some time.. anyone think i should not go to synthetic at 40k miles?? :)

No you can still switch until it's pretty high mileage with excessive internal wear, and even that "late stop" is debatable.

cgeb

Reaction score
I have switched to syn on high mileage cars and trucks before with out a problem. Just switched on an e350 box truck at 107K with no problems. Have done it on a honda accord I used to own at 96k.

I think its a myth, but I understand there is a lot of wear at those miles.

S.V.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i'm gonna switch.. i'll post any relevant info accordingly.

CHINO64

Reaction score
Oil Change and Gas Mileage

I have a Silverado I take to the quick oil changers every three thousand miles, but for my Tahoe, I change the oil myself and I feel much better doing it that way. I hate spending 40K plus on a vehicle and let a 30-39.00 dollar oil change at a shop cause weird problems afterwards. It is ironic, why not the Silverado, well that truck is my work horse and my Tahoe is my prize.

Nobody takes care of your vehicle like you do.

You guys need to check out Bob the oil guy website and this other one about oil filters.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com

Forgot to mention, I have a CAI with Magnaflow and get an average all the time 13.6 MPG in the city.
My driving habits are normal.

Last edited:

bisignano

Reaction score
I have been running Mobil 1 for the last 2 changes. My mileage increased about 1 to 1.5 mpg depending on my driving habits. I usually run the cheapest gas (87). I do have a CAI and the Edge Evolution. I don't understand why everyone is getting 13 mpg. I routinely get about 15mpg in the city and 18-19 on the highway. That is with the air on. With the Edge program in, I get about 20-21 with the A/C at 75-80 mpg.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still no change on my end. even after a tired balance.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Next step is another oil change I guess, but I'll likely do it myself.

I'm getting right at 12.9/13.1 city driving with a Volant and Flowmaster 50SUV.

I am thinking that since the Flowmaster has the opening to the lower intake that's open and not being used, that I might be taking in too much air??? So one of my plans is to seal that off so that my flow is more typical to original, but simply with the better Volant system.

I'm just glad I have a motorcycle so that I can ride it more often and offset the cost of filling up this beast!

rockrash

Reaction score
I switched from dino to Mobil 1 at my last oil change at 36K. I was getting 14.8 to 15 mpg before the change. After the switch its between 15.5 to 15.7 with a/c in mixed driving. I have noticed no performance problems of any kind. By the way, I do all of my own changes so I know what goes in.

jazejeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually i get 15-17 mpg with the following
mods
24''
2/2.5 drop
headers
intake
Gibson exhaust

UNTIL LAST FRIDAY!!!!!
when i put my edge back in and drove this weekend with the pedal to the metal and now im currently at 10.1mpg\

the only thing that keeps me sane in these high priced gas prices is that i only live 4 miles away from work and i only fill up 1 to 2 times a month

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try an upgraded filter also. On the last change they used the standard filter made by Fram. I also called Mobile One to ask questions and was told that no special filter was required.

Took a 500 mile trip this weekend. All highway. I got roughly 400 miles on a full tank driving about 70-75mph 98% of the time. The mpg meter was about 17-18 most of the time. A/C on the whole trip.
On a few stretches I slowed down to 55-65 and reset the meter to see what happen. The meter "DROPPED" to like 15-16. I was under the impression that it would have gone up. Even got to try it with the A/C off. Not much changed.

I may need to have the transmission checked. Only other thing I can thing of at this point. The other gears just seem to have a little more power. Maybe its normal.

I dont won't ignore something minor. We all know how those stories end.:cool2:

BossHawg

Reaction score
Not bad I guess!

Just bought a 2007 GMC Yukon XL with 18K miles. Changed to Mobil 1 and installed a K&N filter. I had no base MPG to go on, but I drove from Northern Virginia to Atlanta to Myrtle Beach and back to NoVA. Got 17.1 MPG this past week.

I have to think that this is good for the Yukon. I would have been more pleased at 20 MPG but I think that is just a pipe dream.:lol:

Just adding my 2 cents.

BH

BossHawg

Reaction score
Funny you should ask. I went to Walmart because I did not have time to do it myself...they had no filters for the truck....so I went to Autozone and bought a Mobil1 filter to go with the Mobil1 oil, they gave me $10 off the price of the oil change since I bought my own.

Also to add to my original post I was loaded to the top. I have a wife and two girls and they bring everything!!

travisdj

Reaction score
Well I'll just put in my .02. I just switched my wife's Denali over to Mobil 1 full synthetic. The Oil life meter hit 0% today. Tomorrow I am changing the oil to Amsoil Signature Series 0W-30 for the winter, and probably forever. I am also using an Amsoil Ea filter. I will probably run the oil to 20,000 miles, maybe more with oil analysis and a filter change. Now days even dino oil can be run longer than in the old days, as long as you keep an eye on things. My vehicle is a diesel and they are far more touchy than gassers, as far as oil goes, and guys safely run them 25,000 or more between oil changes. That is with synthetic of course. Just some food for thought.

jameym00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually switched to the Mobil1 0-w20 and broke 450 miles to a tank from Roanoke Va to Nags Head!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Amsoil with Amsoil filter (very good Wix, I think). They say 25,000 miles but I will still change both every 5K, for warranty and peace of mind assurances. I did hear that with the Amsoil the viscosity can thicken up as a byproduct of running it 10 or 20 thousand miles, but I'll never know. Also, DO NOT use ANY filter made by FRAM, that includes Pennsoil I think, and some other name brands. Unless you like oil-soaked cardboard! And I don't see how using synthetic with a good filter (not Fram) could possibly hurt performance, it doesn't make sense.

GIXXER

Reaction score
Synthetic oil shouldn't affect your mpg in noticible way. Synthetic oils are comprised of man made polyalphaolefin molecules, as opposed to hydrotreated 'mineral' oils. What To understand the differnece think of synthetic oils as a bag of marbles...when you squish the bag around there is little resistance. Now think of a bag of rocks....when you try and squish them around there are jagged edges that provide resistance and friction.
What this means is that synthetic oils allow for lower running temperatures, easier cold weather startup, and increased ability to suspend engine soot.
If you are noticing a difference in fuel consumption you should look towards driving habits and driving conditions...and possibly the fuel filter.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I'd use 0W30 unless you're in the extreme northern part on the country like Int'l Falls, MN and then only in the winter.