Power Steering Pump Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Hello All
I am in the middle of replacing a pwr steering pump on a 97 Tahoe. As stated in the manual, I have removed the serpenting belt, pulled off the pulley, removed the two lines (from the gear box) and removed the three bolts holding the pump.

My problem is the pump won't budge!!! I am not sure if there is a step not mentioned in the manual that any of you may know about?? I can get it to pivot slightly by placing a screwdriver between the front of the pump and the AC bracket but nothing close to actually coming out.

Do I just need to give it a bit more elbow grease or what???? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Siciliana

Reaction score
Double-check that you removed all the bolts and anything that might be connected to it. It's been awhile since I took mine off, but I couldve sworn there were 4 bolts. It does take some effort getting it to move.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Update

well I got the parts diagrams from GM and yes, there were a few more nuts to be removed.

Have you guys replaced the control valve/actuator kits or just reused from old pump???

Also, I found that Auto zone, Napa and Partsplus didn't carry the return line (one end hose one end fitting) I found it on-line but never imagined it would be such a problem.

Siciliana

Reaction score
That I don't know about. I was having the intake manifold gasket replaced when the power steering pump was taken off.