Probably a stupid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray in Kingwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but is there a way .....when cruizen on the freeway......to make the damn thing go into V4 Mode?

V$8 mode is great.....but cruisen along I would tend to believe V4 is fine.....I would like to see more V4 action...

I am sure the engineers have their reasons....

Just curious.

TallyDAWG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a sweet spot in between 55 and 65 that I was able to do it (at least with my vehicle). I can't remember the exact speed (I want to say 62) but during a trip to south FL I was able to ride in v4 mode more often than not.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only time this thing goes into 4 cyclinder mode is when I'm going down hill and it reads 99MPG! other than that i see very little.

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same here, gonzo... The only time it stays consistently in "V4" is when I'm off the gas pedal on a slight decline.

Otherwise, Ray, I would suggest maybe purchasing and Edge Evolution. A lot of guys here have made reference to this "tuning toy". Maybe the shift point reprogramming and/or "econo" mode will do the trick...w/ a little tweaking, maybe it'll stay in V4 more w/ this ECM tuner. Getwired and a few other members can bring you up to speed on this (although, you may want to do a quick thread search first on the subject, because it has been explained several times before). Anyway, I'm planning on ordering one here real soon--just wanna check my local pro shop first before shopping the internet!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done some extensive searching over the past few days for an edge and the best deal I've found is 399 with free overnight shipping at autoanything.com I think they must have the price fixed as they won't let you use coupons anywhere. Let me know if you find it cheaper!

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that too! I was sure I would be able to find something out there for $300-350 or thereabouts, but nothing...not even on ebay. If I find something, though, I'll let you know... :thumbsup:

TallyDAWG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autoanything had a sale yesterday that was 10% off and free shipping. I combined that with my Fatwallet account and the total I paid for the Volant (with powercore) is 269.

Fatwallet still has a 5% discount @ autoanything.

Go here

http://www.fatwallet.com/join.php

Sign-up and read how the cash back discount works. If you have questions, feel free to ask.

I've done some extensive searching over the past few days for an edge and the best deal I've found is 399 with free overnight shipping at autoanything.com I think they must have the price fixed as they won't let you use coupons anywhere. Let me know if you find it cheaper!

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, I saw that, but like I said you couldn't add coupons to the Edge there, it sucks. FYI I found a deal at etrailer.com if you use the 5% off coupon code there you can get the edge evolution for $380. Coupon code: RMN07A They have free shipping too...best deal out there from what I can find.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will that void my warrenty :giggling: SORRY I COULD NOT RESIST.

look for the magnesium wood act or somthing like that. JK MOTOR stickied it.

Ray in Kingwood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rollin thunder.......i read just the other day on deisel forums (fixin to get me one) this feller put on of those on his truck...he got too aggresive and something happened frying his 7 thou premium pay engine (duramax) and basically Chevy told him......"tough sh*t".....and would not cover the repair on it........and it only had around 6 thousand miles.....I can see both sides but actually attend to agree with Chevy. Why should they be obligated to fix something engineered correctly, that the customer decided on his own to change....just my 2 c worth

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always select the downhill routing option in the Nav. :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

MCF34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2007 with 3.73 seems to go into V4 mode anytime I am on flat or going down hill...it will shift to v8 instantly if the grade goes up even the tiniest bit or touch the gas the tiniest bit....i usually get up to a little over desired speed, hit cruise and then drop speed a 1mph or 2...whalaa..V4. But even with this, I am only get about 13-13.5mph in pure city driving...

turboedmsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
someone metioned in another post about running in tow haul mode. well i tried this and i think it really made a difference...i did this around town driving 55mph and under... i could get my 2007 tahoe to stay in 4cyl mode easier and longer.

so please try this and post you results. I think we may have discovered something.