Problem w/ drivers side door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spatch733

Reaction score
I have a 97 hoe and this morning my drivers side door decided to stop working on me. I try the interior handle and i can hear things moving in the door but, the door does not open. If i use the exterior handle the door opens just fine. I havent had a chance to take off the panel and see whats going on inside yet, but does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Wheels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's a common problem for the inside door handle to break... mine broke and I had to take the panel off and replace it. it's a 15 dollar part from Autozone or Advance, but it's a pain to actually do it.

shouldn't take you more than an hour.

Wheels

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes... you should. there's a tab(i think it's plastic, it could be metal though) that hooks to a rod(from the actual mechanism)... the tab was broken on mine. I think that's the weak point of the door handle.

You'll see what i'm talking about once you take the panel off.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd have someone help you when it comes time to putting the panel on, it's a real pain

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought mine with broken handle was broke right in the spot that wheels indicated would be broke,mine was $19 at autozone took about half hr to put on pretty simple just make sure you have a door panel removal tool and if never took door panel off before you might grab some extra clips.if door handle has never been replaced before you'll have to drill rivet out on handle that holds it to door and then replace it with a screw

J4Landberg

Reaction score
Many Thanks

mross,
Thanks for the post. Where'd you find the panel removal tool? Autozone rent one? Have new handle in hand (driver's side) and am waiting to dive in...I appreciate the hints and tips
JL

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well,i don't know if autozone rents them,i do know they sell them,i got my removal tool probably 10 yrs ago from crutchfield.they aren't very expensive

Exec

Reaction score
Broken inside handle is typical. I had to replace mine few days ago. It still opened the door somehow, but I had to pull it very hard and was afraid of destroying the mechanism further.