Problem with 4WD on 07

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SR07

Reaction score
hello everyone,
i own an 07 Tahoe and love it so far except for one thing...the 4WD mode does not function "normally" ..the truck was bought new and i rarely ever used this mode ( always kept in 2WD ) for some reason the truck stops by itself when in 4wd ..when i turn the wheel it stops without any brake applied (is this normal?) i took it to the stealership and they insisted that nothing was wrong... any thoughts? any input would be really appreciated

-thanks

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stops by itself how? like at slow speeds... and when the wheels are at full lock?

i do believe this is normal only because the car is trying to move all four wheels as opposed to just two... if you know anyone who has a shop or a lift that can take all your wheels off the ground then put in in 4 wheel drive and see if all the wheels move... but it seems like, from what you are just explaining, that it works fine...

SR07

Reaction score
yes it stops at low speeds...it doesnt matter if i turn the wheel fully..it stops regardless ,at any slight turn, how do u suggest i test it? should i just pop it in 4WD and drive around? i really dont want to damage anything if i do..

thanks again

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could drive it around, most of the time, as far as the older models go and most 4x4s if you turn the wheel all the way to full lock and drive forward, not fast just enough to move, say like trying to get into a parking spot, the steering wheel should pull and you should feel the truck shake a little. ive only had it in 4x4 mode maybe once and i cant remember if it does this or not but you could try. i will try it later and let you know.

if you do drive it around i dont really know if its good or bad for it. i would assume a normal street speed is fine but interstate would probably not be good.

i guess a fun way to test it out would be to take the traction control off, put it in 4 hi, then turn the wheels at full lock and gun it. if all the tires grab your good, if it peels out in the rear then i would say there is a problem... just a random thought...

good luck

SR07

Reaction score
thanks a lot... i guess im going to having fun after work today..

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you are decribing is normal 4wd characteristics i would not recommend driving in 4wd on dry pavement and gunning it as it could result in transmission transfer case axle or possibly balljoint damage. take it to a field and drive in 4wd

SR07

Reaction score
well i got home, put the car in 4WD , and lightly pushed the throttle, and after moving about 15 feet the truck began to shudder... NO IDEA why ... this CANT be normal , i immediatly put it in park and trnasfered back to 2WD... wat the hell am i gonna do when it snows? lol

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you have it in 4WD on dry surfaces, you will bind up the drive train when turning due to the different radiuses and therefore the wheel want to turn at different speeds but can't.