Programmer and Towing Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I was thinking today what the effect is with say, a Hypertech programmer and a vehicle with a towing package?

The Hypertech, or other programmer, is designed to affect the shipping points on the vehicle as you drive.

If you have a towing package, as my Z71 does, it does, basically, the same thing, though likely somewhat different.

Would the Hypertech, or other unit, changing the shift points, only affect the normal driving mode and not interfere with the towing package?

At the same time, one has to wonder if you just put the towing package on, would it give you, basically, the same effect without spending all that money?

Hmm, one ponders...

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I am quite aware of that, but that isn't relevant to my post. I am simply trying to look at that aspect.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can still use the tow/haul function and it will override the standard tune. I've towed with my truck on the performance tune no problem, pulls just fine and doesn't hang in gear or lug going up hills.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if a programmer would affect the standard tune but that's good to know and exactly the info I was looking for.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the Hypertech and have towed - frankly, even pulling a 6x12 UHaul loaded with furniture, the Hypertech shift points were fine. The tow/haul mode seemed to wait almost too long to upshift. I'm with the other guys - the benefits, too, of the Hypertech shifting are worth it. Easier on the tranny, more aggressive shifts, etc.