Quick Question about my amp/sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently got a 12" AudioBahn Sub and one of those cheap VR3 AMPs that come from walmart, Its a 200 watt. I got all this for free so i dont complain.

I built a box for the sub, good size but im now realizing that it takes up to much room in back, I think i can narrow down the size a bit.

I was wondering how small i could go on the box without really killing the bass, Maybe small enough to fit on the hump in the back seat of a two door hoe?

And also, should i port it? The one i have built now i ported and am kind of debating on doing it to the next one, Im thinking more cube shape for the next one..

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you talk about the specs of the sub a little more, maybe the model number or something? I think with the specs we can tell you the box size you need. I say port it for clarity, unless you just want loud, then sealed. I'm not a fan of audiobahn, but free low end is free low end.

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the actual sub itself.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_123_Audiobahn+ATB12T.html

Thats the enclosure i have, the guy before me ripped off the amp from the back of it and bought one of these for it..

http://www.amazon.com/VR3-WATT-CHANNEL-STEREO-AMPLIFIER/dp/B000VRJA08

So thats waht i have, That enclosure it came with was cut in half to fit into his camaro so, Im not using it, Plus its huge.

I just went out and measured my trucks back seat hump out, It seems that i can do 21" long, 14" Wide, and 8" deep. Is that enough?
Tell me what you think i should do,

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
see, this is deff a tricky one to call. as there are no specs on a specific "speaker" just a speaker/enclosure combo, i would try no to make it much larger/smaller than the inner dims of the original enclosure. im just gonna go from experience, I'd say go with a sealed box somewhere around .75-1.25 cubes. you could do ported, which is typically louder, but as you dont know much on the speaker, sealed is safer

SS5800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did try that rounded enclosure yes, But it sounded like crap becuase i had to patch and seal the thing back togther after he cut it in half to fit into his camaro.

Another question, What does an air leak sound like in a box? Like something is vibrating against the box? Because thats what the sub sounds like in the box's i have made. I dont have the right material which would be why i have bad boxes, I have nothing to seal them with.

I am going to home depot tommorow can some one tell me what to pick up?

My list includes

Sheet of MDF wood.

Wood Glue

1 1/2" (sheetrock screws?) Maybe <<<

Carpeting

I have all the tools and wire here, I also have a speaker terminal bay to connect the wires to.

What do you guys use to seal the boxes? I heard that silicone smells, flakes and you cant paint over it? So what should i use?

Any other things?

Last edited:

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres a list of materials i typically use when i build a wood box,
3/4" MDF
liquid nails
1.25" wood screws
spray glue
carpet
if you decide to go ported i would also get contact cement to hold down the carpet around the port.

as for a leak... theres not necessarily a sound at all. all it would be is air blowing through a hole. you have to feel for a leak more than listen for it.