Rattle from Driver's Side Seat Belt Hanger..HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08Zed71

Reaction score
I have the most annoying rattle to the left of my head coming from somewhere inside the "B" pillar. I've already had the seat belt retractor replaced and sound proofed all the wiring under the lower trim. The odd thing is, it doesn't sound like it's coming from the hanger itself, but just behind it. It's a faint metal on metal sounding rattle.

Dealer tried a bunch of fixes but it's still doing it.

Anyone have any experience with this? I love this truck and can handle the other rattles but this one is driving me nuts.

Rick08Tahoe

Reaction score
GM traded me for new 2010

I had the same except on the passenger side. Sounded like two pieces of sheet metal tapping together. Not loud but it became water torture in my head after a while. I had the issue worked on 5 times at dealer. They adjusted, greased the seat belt retractors, blew foam insulation in the pillar and claimed each time to fix. They finally said the only way to fix was to literally cut out the B-pillar and replace and repaint. That was obviously not acceptable on a new car. I only had 2200 miles on the truck when I first took it in for the problem. In the end, it worked out. As recommended by the dealer, I followed the procedure in the back of the manual to call the BBB. Once the BBB and GM had the problem and the dealer verified the issue, I was given the option of a refund less mileage allowance, find a new replacement, or custom order a new 2010 Tahoe. I ordered a new 2010 and paid a portion of the difference. I will be happy to discuss on phone if you want. Please email me and I will respond with my phone number.

08Zed71

Reaction score
Big THANKS to Rick for PMing me and taking the time to speak on the phone about this issue. Given I've had the car longer and 26,000 miles I'm not sure about pursuing the buyback...I'd probably just trade it later this year.

Funny thing is, we both admitted our wives weren't at all bothered by the noise at all. Mine has offered to trade her brand new Pilot to me because rattles don't bother her.

Unsure what I'm gonna do.

rsinsel

Reaction score
It could be the door latch. There is a defect that causes a rattle.

08Zed71

Reaction score
Following up....you're right, it is the door latch mechanism. When I put some tape around the post of the latch, I can get it to stop making noise for a few days to few weeks - but it always wears off and comes back. I've had the lock pieces switched out by the dealer and that did nothing to stop the noise. Could it be a mis-aligned door???

Anybody else dealt with this?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anymore info or any update on this? I'm tracking down similar rattles, too.

Thanks.

jdc3063

Reaction score
R A T T L E......sure Fix

I have had the same annoying rattle radiating throughout the cab of my Tahoe. Like everyone else i thought seatbelt, door latch, and wipers. The annoying rattle only heard while driving highway speeds, believe it or not is the black plastic weather stripping running vertical up the windshield. This is 100% the tapping and rattle noise your hearing. To fix it will only take you 20 mins. Pull weather stripping back from each door. You will reveal 3 or 4 screws which hold winshield strip, remove them. Get double sided tape, thinner in width the better. Run 2sided tape down the length of windshield. Put winshield stripping back on top of tape, screws back in and your done. If stripping doesnt stick to tape no big deal, it will still cushion and prevent the stripping from tapping on windshield eliminating the noise completely. I just did this a few days ago and havent heard noise since.

jdc3063

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had the same annoying rattle radiating throughout the cab of my Tahoe. Like everyone else i thought seatbelt, door latch, and wipers. The annoying rattle only heard while driving highway speeds, believe it or not is the black plastic weather stripping running vertical up the windshield. This is 100% the tapping and rattle noise your hearing. To fix it will only take you 20 mins. Pull weather stripping back from each door. You will reveal 3 or 4 screws which hold winshield strip, remove them. Get double sided tape, thinner in width the better. Run 2sided tape down the length of windshield. Put winshield stripping back on top of tape, screws back in and your done. If stripping doesnt stick to tape no big deal, it will still cushion and prevent the stripping from tapping on windshield eliminating the noise completely. I just did this a few days ago and havent heard noise since.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm missing something. You talk about pulling the stripping away "at each door." Is this DOOR weather stripping making the noise, or WINDSHIELD stripping?

(Maybe I'll have to look at my truck first before understanding what you're talking about...)

Thanks for the info.

jdc3063

Reaction score
RATTLE

The rattle or tapping noise is coming from stripping running up the sides of windshield. To reveal the screws that secure it to windshield you have to open truck door and just pull back on rubber gasket which prevents water from leaking in door. This will expose the screws that need to be removed

Whtltz07

Reaction score
I have the most annoying rattle to the left of my head coming from somewhere inside the "B" pillar. I've already had the seat belt retractor replaced and sound proofed all the wiring under the lower trim. The odd thing is, it doesn't sound like it's coming from the hanger itself, but just behind it. It's a faint metal on metal sounding rattle.

Dealer tried a bunch of fixes but it's still doing it.

Anyone have any experience with this? I love this truck and can handle the other rattles but this one is driving me nuts.

I have the same exact issue. I am glad I found this thread. Thanks for the insight.