rear deogger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. First post here. I have a 94 Yukon ,we just got , and the rear window defogger isn't working. How does this actually work? I have 4 connectors coming off the rear window "struts" ,I get power out of the drivers side top one and then can't seem to go any further. Is that one the only power? Are the other three grounds? If I hook the test light to the power one and the other end to any of the other ones ,shouldn't I get a light? Thanks for your time.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have barn Doors or a liftgate?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Each shock should have 2 wires, 1 at body, 1 at glass. One of the shocks will carry the ground, the other will carry the 12v. Check for 12v between the 2 shocks AT the glass.......

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I ground a test light to the body ,I get power from the top drivers side wire. No where else.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ground the light to the other side....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you have a bad ground to one side, try the wire on the body side test light between the body side wires.....

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry ,you lost me.?? Is there a wiring diagram of this somewhere?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Struts mount to the glass at a point, mount to the body of the tahoe at a point. Wires comming off struts at glass and at body. Wires on body side should be tested to make shure there is power to the struts (testlight on one wire feeding strut on one side, ground clip to wire feeding strut on other.) If this is ok, move to the other side of struts and repeat, if it fails then one of the struts is not passing power along....

You will not have power on both struts as one side IS the ground for the circuit, the other side is the 12v Supply.....

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try this when I get home. I know I get power at the top drivers side. I don't think I get power at the bottom drivers side tho. Thanks , I will let you know.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, need the power to travel the length of the strut and to the glass, they can go bad internally, also the tabs can come loose from the glass also....

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must be the strut then ,no power at the bottom one ,drivers side. Thank you

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi again. How do I tell if I have a 1st design or a 2nd design?

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to order new "struts" for the rear window and have been asked are they 1st design or 2nd. They must have made a running change. Maybe different lengths or something???

Poppa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did find two different ones. They are different lengths. Now to measure....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, glad I had the barn doors in a way, never had to deal with the struts....

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to check mine out too. didnt work this weekend. first time Ive tried it since I bought the truck. thanks guys