Rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jpage7117

Reaction score
Anybody have a rough idea what it would cost to rebuild a rear end in a 2002 tahoe ? And how do I read the vin to find out my gear ratio. Thanks

amtronic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VIN doesn't tell, I think its on the service identification tag in you glove box. The RPO code will tell what you have. Take a picture and post it, there are several sites that can decode the RPO codes.

Jpage7117

Reaction score
I took a picture of my rpo I read some where that the gt4 on it says I have 3:73 gears can somebody just look at my rpo and and help me thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 14

gse2schmidt

Reaction score
vin for rear end

In the past I posted vin numbers and the build sheet told the rear axle code...I posted a vin yesterday and no reply...and doesn't look like anyone else has gotten a reply in a while. where is the rpo code sticker?

Jpage7117

Reaction score
It's in the glove compartment I found a junkyard one with like 118k on for $550 having my mechanic put it in today hopefully done soon I want to drive my truck again haha

gse2schmidt

Reaction score
Rear Axle

yeah everything I read it says swap it out. That it can cost alot of money and some seem to have a little noise to them again later. And others have to repeat building them again in 20k. Yet other axles last 250k.

what was bad on yours? mine whines

Jpage7117

Reaction score
Mine was making a shuttering vibration when I gas it gas and when I would go from drive to reverse it would take a sec to engage and then it would bang I just got it swapped out and got it back today I am happy with the results had to change a few other parts in the rear end but all set and back driving it haha and finally out of my work van for 3 weeks

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that sounds like trans. I had to rebuild my rear end and i did all the work cost me about $800 or less. bcause the spider gears blew up. but my truck still takes a sec to change from any gear to reverse it takes a sec. and i know its the trans. i will remove the trans but to get that rebuild it will be about $1200- 1500. :(

Jpage7117

Reaction score
I used to be able to hear it when it when I was driving normally but when I picked it up today that banging sound was gone and I have it a good little test on way home to check to make sure everything was fine haha everything is good hopefully it's last for a while