Rear Heat Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stephendudra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tonight is the first night here in Jacksonville that heat in the car is really needed.

So I turned on the rear blower and turned it to heat and guess what!!! NO HEAT!

I get a nice cold air though!!!!

Anyone have any idea why this is not working??? Anything that I can look for? Any and all advice will be welcome as it is nice and warm in the drivers seat, but I think that my kids would want to feel some heat back there!

Thanks,

Stephen

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need a temperature door actuator for the auxillary hvac unit. it is in the rear right side behind the trim panel on the auxillary hvac case.

tribalbreak

Reaction score
funny this thread is right on top because up here in pa the temp has been dropping down to the low 30's the past few days... so i turned my rear heat on when i had a few friends back there and it blew nothing but cold air... gave them an icy surprise haha

mccullionj

Reaction score
So I have the same problem, the rear HVAC only throws cold air no matter what. Just wondering if you guys replaced the actuator and if it worked. Also, where can it be located (is it referenced in the Chilton Manual?)

stephendudra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have the same problem, the rear HVAC only throws cold air no matter what. Just wondering if you guys replaced the actuator and if it worked. Also, where can it be located (is it referenced in the Chilton Manual?)

I ordered both actuators from ebay.

Description: Air Door Actuator
Make: GM
OE #: 16124922, 89018356

I am not sure which one it is so I ordered both. They are located in the rear of the vehicle above the passenger side rear tire.

I will let you know how hard it was and if this corrected the issue.

kcciticard

Reaction score
It is easy enough to take off the rear panel and see if the acuators are working or not. They are visible with just the panel off. When you change the controls over to heat/cold then you should see it move. Same thing for the vent/floor switch. That way you know if they are working or not before ordering them up.

stephendudra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update On Rear Hvac System

So today I pull off the passenger side rear inside panel to get to the actuator. I replace it and guess what, NOTHING! Since I had an extra one, I replaced it again and NOTHING!

I took the original one apart to look at the inside and everything moves just fine.

So I tried to change the temperature on the controls on the headliner and no go. It does nothing. So I thought that I had a bad switch. So I put it on AUX to allow the rear controls to work.

I turned on the rear controls and jacked the heat up and still nothing but cold air.

Soooo guys, I have replaced the actuators and it still isnt working. I have also checked every fuse in the truck. Both on the dash and under the hood. Nothing found.

Anyone? Suggestions please?:cryin:

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you have it apart, is the rear heater core even getting warm? Could be a bad heater hose valve.

Greb

stephendudra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
better explanation

While you have it apart, is the rear heater core even getting warm? Could be a bad heater hose valve.

Greb

There is no heater hose issues at all. The hoses and the AC works fine. For some reason the CONTROL that turns the temperature up and down is not working for some reason. So if I turn the temp from 65 to 80 the actuatore in the back does not move to change it from cold air to warm air.

Make sense?

fherna3

Reaction score
Does anyone have any conclusions as to what is casuing this? I heard from a friend that there is an actuator in the dash that needs to be replaced for the rear heat.

Grebbler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no heater hose issues at all. The hoses and the AC works fine. For some reason the CONTROL that turns the temperature up and down is not working for some reason. So if I turn the temp from 65 to 80 the actuatore in the back does not move to change it from cold air to warm air.

Make sense?

I really should stop posting while under the influence of NyQuil®. :ack:

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like those two part numbers are the same physical part. I found them on ebay from two different sellers, and they have this part with both of these part numbers. Is this correct?

I ordered both actuators from ebay.

OE #: 16124922, 89018356

I am not sure which one it is so I ordered both. They are located in the rear of the vehicle above the passenger side rear tire.

I will let you know how hard it was and if this corrected the issue.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to the dealer and have them look up the part number and check it. the reason i say this is because it says air door actuator you need a temp door actuator. they all look the same but are different. hope this helps

stephendudra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting

go to the dealer and have them look up the part number and check it. the reason i say this is because it says air door actuator you need a temp door actuator. they all look the same but are different. hope this helps

OE #: 89018356

http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=213815

As you can see from this link above, the actuator is the SAME for both the Air door AND the temp door.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year is this one? on my 2000, it just pulls in air from the back and blows it back out..so if the back is cold, then it blows cold air..its only a fan on mine, i dont have the option to select heat or cool for the back