Reasonable Trailer sizes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nunzio8084

Reaction score
I own a 96 tahoe 2dr sport with the 5.7 vortec, what would be the largest size enclosed trailer I could reasonably haul. Truck is in excellent condition. This tow would be done 8-10 times a year for about 500 miles each way. Inside the trailer would be racing karts and tools/parts so not a lot of weight. Considering a toy hauler. Any info on similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ghosty

Reaction score
<Bump> I'm curious too. I'd like to be able to pull a single car trailer. This includes over mountain highways.

d2serious

Reaction score
Im not sure, but i haul a 2000lbs concession trailer with my tahoe without any problems.

Ghosty

Reaction score
Unfortunately my car is almost 4k pounds, then add the trailer weight to that, ouch.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We pull a 3800 lb. (loaded) pop-up, along with about 400 lbs of cargo (coolers, cooking equipment, beer, firewood, more beer, etc.) in the back. Not a problem. I did add a Tru Cool LPD tranny cooler, tho.

MartinsvilleSpringRace2007003.jpg

Ghosty

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have the '93 with non-Vortec only-200hp 5.7 TBI. :( That probably limits me as well?

txshriner

Reaction score
I own a 96 tahoe 2dr sport with the 5.7 vortec, what would be the largest size enclosed trailer I could reasonably haul. Truck is in excellent condition. This tow would be done 8-10 times a year for about 500 miles each way. Inside the trailer would be racing karts and tools/parts so not a lot of weight. Considering a toy hauler. Any info on similar experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.

i dont know your your financial status but assuming that doesnt enter the equation. it is my opinion that the tahoe/yukon especially with the big motor are more than capable of towing. stopping and stability are where i feel you need more than they have to offer. in my experience a dual wheel 1 ton is the ticket. my personal choice is the dodge ram megacab. if you happen to go with this i can say this and decide on a dodge,DO NOT under any circumstances buy a 08 up with the 6.7 motor. if you buy a new truck(which are emissions controlled now) only buy the chevrolet.