Rebuilding my 4L60-E... Advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trippysheppy

Reaction score
The trans in my 96 Tahoe gave out yesterday, leaving me with no reverse and no 2nd gear (broken sun gear/reaction). I'm going to rebuild it, and trying to put together a list of parts to replace. I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible while still replacing what's necessary. for 300-500 dollars, what parts would you recommend replacing?

I picked out this set and the two recommended washers so far. should i replace the band? the torque converter?

I've never rebuilt (or worked on) an automatic transmission before (manuals, yes) and i'm not 100% sure I know how they work and which parts SHOULD be replaced even if not broken (like replacing a water pump while doing a timing belt). also, is there a better site for chevy oem parts that I should look into? Any and all advice and opinions are welcome :happy160:

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Honestly, I would recommend purchasing a complete rebuild kit as it will include the parts you linked to above. The torque converter may be a good idea if you think it had issues before, but doing so will obviously add more to the cost.

If you like you can shoot me a private message here and I can find a kit that will have everything and quote a bottom of the line price. Also, if there is a better price out there than what I can do I will find that for you as well. Just send me your shipping information and I can work out a quote for you.

MY only other advice is simply to take your time and pay attention. If you have rebuilt standard tranny's before you shouldn't have problems with this one.

99TOWHOE

Reaction score
I just did the one in my 99 myself...I bought a book...and a rebuild kit..and a new converter ...and it does great...I have been towing with it for 10,000 miles now..and it cost about $200 for all the parts..including the conv.

Mine is the PWM conv...and it was $110 at oreilly's local trans shop wanted $1500 to built it...NOT...

Go for it..and save alot of $$$