Recycle/Recirculate Air button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I hit the recycle/recirculate air button, the air conditioner seems to turn on.

Also, when recycle air is off, I get a stale burnt odor from the coming out of vent.

This is on an '07 Denali. I'd like to hear opinons on what the probable causes might be.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the smell is but I know that on my Yukon and my 06 Silverado the recirc won't come on with the heater which I think is completely stupid. You push it and the light blinks a couple of times and then goes off. It sucks because everytime I get behind some stanky a** old car I hit the button and nothing happens. Sorry to vent on your page!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure what the smell is but I know that on my Yukon and my 06 Silverado the recirc won't come on with the heater which I think is completely stupid. You push it and the light blinks a couple of times and then goes off. It sucks because everytime I get behind some stanky a** old car I hit the button and nothing happens. Sorry to vent on your page!

MINE DOES, and i have an 06 yukon, i have it set to blow at my head and feet, and i push recirc and it pops right on.

IT WILL NOT WORK AT JUST FEET OR DEFROST.

it works in just head, and head and feet.

rockrawler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I just leave it in auto all the time so when the temp is cold and I have it set on 72 it just blows at my feet. I will start switching it to head and feet and leave the auto alone. I wish it would let me pick where I wanted it blow in auto. I like my A/C on my head and feet as well as the heat but the auto just picks head for A/C, feet for heat, and both only on rare occasions.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, I don't understand the thought there either. You'd think there was some sort of reprogam so you can use recirculate all the time.

I really love this truck, but that and it having no cabin filter is just RIDCULOUS!

I guess I'm off to the dealer. Every time I turn the AC or recirculate "off", I get an smell for a few minutes. Got a get it checked out.

PartyOf5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have an update for us?? What was the root of the problem??

Sorry, I don't yet. I called the dealership to set a time to bring it and they said I had to leave it for the entire day. The Yuke is the family transport and we've been too busy to lose it for the day.

While on the phone though, the rep said it could be an actuator thats stuck. Not sure why that would cause a smell when turning off the recirculate and/or AC, but obviously he said it was a guess and would have to look at it for to be sure.

Will report back when I get better info.