Reduce Engine Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wallyb

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe. I have been having a problem with the engine giving me a Reduce Engine Power message. It has been in for repair several times. They have been unable to find the problem. They have replaced the Throttle Body a few times. (4 times) They have told me that it could be an EMI problem. They put aluminum foil around the wiring going to the throttle body to help with the EMI problem. Engineers from GM told the sevice department to do this. So far I have had no problems but it only a matter of time. Any help would be appreciated.

mattyzhoe

Reaction score
has it been tuned?

My buddies did that. If an error happens when you tune the truck that will come up. Might be an idea??

wallyb

Reaction score
Not sure what yo mean. Do you mean when it has had an tune up????

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By tune, I'm thinking that he's referring to an aftermarket tune that pisses off the PCM. But I really don't know for sure.

wallyb

Reaction score
Nope I haven't done that. This problem started about a year or so ago. It can happen at any time. The engine power is reduced to 35 miles an hour will not go any faster than that.

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe had the reduced power error once but has never done it again. Did you or the dealer pull the codes? I'm curious what's being reported.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope I haven't done that. This problem started about a year or so ago. It can happen at any time. The engine power is reduced to 35 miles an hour will not go any faster than that.
carry a wrench to disconnect your battery, when it does it, wait a few, reconnect batt. Then it will reset and let you drive it.

sweetjeeps

Reaction score
i have a similar problem with my 04. Its been to the dealer a few times. going back tuesday. You dont need to disconnect the battery. The problem with mine happens on start up evert once in a while and i pulled 3 throttle codes. That throttle module has been changed already, and i just ordered a new computer with power and MPG upgrades, and it still happens. If it happens i turn it off and wait 2 minutes and it will start normally. Its just annoying.

wallyb

Reaction score
Well they said mine had to do with EMI interference. They wrapped aluminum foil around the wire going to the throttle body. So far this has seemed to work. They also had to rewire the throttle body. If your problem persist I would have them look into the EMI problem. An engineer from GM came to look at my Tahoe.

Much2Busy

Reaction score
I have been having the same prob with my 03 Tahoe, 116K miles. Recently I got a "reduced engine power" message. After reading manual, I checked coolant, slightly low. a week later I got the message again (hadn't even driven 5 miles that day!) Called my mechanic and if I remember correctly he said he adjusted something that had something to do with the throttle (sorry I'm not mechanically minded) Ran great for 3 weeks then yesterday morning it did it twice in the first 10 miles of the day (I was cruising at 65). (I stop and turn it off for a couple of minutes when it happens) I turned around and was doing 75 going home to trade vehicles, it didn't happen. Last night, took it out, within the first few miles it happened. Went on to our destination (only a few more miles) ran fine on the way home. This morning, got in it and there wasn't even check engine light on! Ran great all morning!
If anyone had any additional ideas I would love to hear them! Right now I am planning on taking it in on Monday and having the connections wrapped in aluminum foil! BTW, even though the manual says this is to protect the engine from overheating, the needle on the temp guage never gets past the 1/2 way point.

Tomtom202

Reaction score
My 2004 had the same problem it's the wires goin to the throttle body.. Either u need a new harness or some type of moisture got inside it.. YouTube will show you how to fix it.