remove intake silencer "vortec" box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what's the best way to get rid of this thing, what to block off the hole with?

I don't think it'd make any performance improvement but it is ugly, in the way, and it's called a silencer. 3 strikes, sounds like it needs to go to me.

The LT1 caprice/roadmaster people had a huge "home plate" even worse one that they were lucky enough that a regular hockey puck would clamp right in in place of. Any common type thing I'm not thinking of that could clamp right over the hole? or should I just take the elbow pipe thing that screws onto the TB into home depot and start trying for things that fit?

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your talking about the box ner the firewall over the dist? i think i used a 2" rubber (no-hub/fernco) cap fit perfect on my last 99

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha!! Stay out of Home Depot. I had a forklift once with an oil bath air filter. I was sick of it so I put a conical K&N filter on a PVC 90 on there. It worked great, but it looked SO redneck.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm just talking about the box over the dist that does nothing.

I'm not going to go try and make a whole cold (hot) air intake out of home depot stuff like my brother does every time he gets a new car. (and then goes back to stock air intake months later)

natedawg87

Reaction score
putting a 2" rubber cap over it like 718 said does the trick just perfectly. I just did it to my '96 'hoe and it works great. I'm sure you'll have to stretch it a little bit but nothing too bad to get it to fit over the hole. And just make sure to clamp it down to be safe. And it does improve the sound a bit too. Which I'm sure you'll be happy about. Enjoy! Let me know how it goes for ya!

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have got the 2" like the other dude said, 2" looked way too big, I bought a 1.5" and thought it might've even looked a little big, but it was too small. exchanging tomorrow.

Is all that box is for is just making things quiter? I know my brother the home depot cai wizard took off some hugely complicated silencer thing off his v6 saturn vue only to read later it somehow "tunes" the incoming air charge for optimal cylinder-filling.