remove steprails, doorlock probs, keyless entry, f.i. cleaner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a 99 Tahoe, my first suv/truck ever and I love it. (swore I would never own one!)

Few things I'm wondering about:

1. It has step-rail tubes on it, one of them is rusted and cracked on the bottom and is sagging from the previous owner stepping on it. I want to take them off, the bolts that are holding them on look like they are 4 of the bolts that hold the cab to the frame.

Can I simply pull those out, the steprail drops and them screw them back in?

Are they longer to accomodate the steprail? Do I need to get shorter ones? use a thick washer or something?

Will I have any trouble getting the bolts back in the hole? will the body shift at all while I take them out making the body bolt hole and the frame bolt hole not line up?

And will I even be able to do that with hand tools? am i going to need to use air?

2. none of the power lock switches inside or the rear-glass switch on the dash do anything at all. The power locks work fine when I lock and unlock with the remote but not from the inside switches. I'm assuming a wiring problem unless somehow all of the switches are bad or something. Any suggestions for a good place to start looking for the problem?

3. it came with only one keyless remote. Can I buy another one from autozone and make it work nowadays? or does the dealer have to program them?

4. I have a kit that lets you hook up a pressurized can of fuel injector cleaner into the fuel rail test valve.

On my car (grand prix with series II 3800)

I hook the can up to the fuel rail

pull the fuse for the fuel pump

pull off and plug a vac line going to the regulator (this leaves the regulator closed so the $12 can of cleaner doesn't just dump itself into the tank via the return line)

Then I open the valve to release the cleaner, start the engine and let it run on the can of cleaner until it dies.

The FI system on this truck is very different than anything I know, is it possible to use this FI cleaner on my tahoe? (is there any type of vortec FI system for dummies diagram anyone can show me? I'm curious how it all works)

Last edited:

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
To answer question #4, No that pressurized can of fual injector cleaner will not work on your injection system.

Your engine has the so called spider fuel injector set up. These injectors need at least 58-62psi to pop them off. I doubt that can you have will do the job. I had to buy a special tool from Strap-On to do fuel injector cleanings on these engines.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
#1 All you have to do is unbolt them and you might have to put a washer or two in between it. You should not have any problems with the body moving. You can do it with just hand tools and you wont have any problems putting the bolt back in. When I did mine it took maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

#3 I found this on another forum on how to program a keyless remote. I don't know if it works or not
1. Close all vehicle doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition.
3. Hold down the power UNLOCK button on the driver’s door panel-continue to hold down until instructed
to release in step 9.
4. Perform steps 5 through 8 in fairly rapid succession.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (as far as you can go without starting the engine).
6. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
7. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
8. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
9. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The vehicle will lock and unlock the doors automatically.
10. Hold down the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously until the door locks and unlocks.
This step may take up to 30 seconds.
11. Repeat step 10 NOW for each additional transmitter (including any existing transmitters).
12. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. sucks I can't use my injector cleaner.

Why are the injection systems the way they are? Does it offer any advantage over a standard rail with 8 injectors pushed into the intake manifold or heads?

The problem with the power locks/rear-glass button ended up being the "cigarette lighter" fuse. haha.

I didn't see any fuse listed for door locks so I tested them all and the cig lighter one was bad, once I replaced it the locks and glass button work.

(saw the drl fuse in there too, nice of them to make disabling drls as easy as pulling a fuse just like on my grand prix. its supposed to be a pita to do on a lot of cars)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright man, welcome to the forum. great opening post. slap up a picture for us. and again, welcome. now, the quad-headlight mod.