Removing O2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in process of replacing my O2 sensors and have run into a problem. I have been able to remove three of the four sensors and have remaning the post-cat sensor on the passenger side (just before the muffler), this sensor is apparently frozen in place and even though I have attempted to loosen it with WD40 as I was trying to remove it the wrench has rounded out one of the corners and I am unable to get a good bite on it with my current tools (adjustable wrench, channel locks, adjustable pliers). Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could remove this last sensor...or is it just easier to take it to a mechanic?

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had to heat up the pipe on mine to get her loose i had the same problem
and liquid wrench i found that it works better than wd-40

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so maybe let the engine run to heat up the exhaust and try it again?

I just hope I haven't stripped the edges too much already fighting with it.

Last edited:

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could try that ..in my case i used a torch just to "spot" heat the area and i used liquid wrench that helped alot . also you might wanna have a pair of vise grips handy incase you rounded out the head of the sensor nothing worse than snaping the sucker in the pipe then it really becomes a problem.

shadytahoe

Reaction score
even if you rounded off the edges if you heat it up enough it shouldnt be a problem i work at a tranny shop and whe have to heat them up all the time works like a charm :thumbsup:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get some vice grips on that bitch and it will come loose, some heat or pb blaster will aid in the process but I've always broken them loose without a torch. Then remember to use the correct size and it shouldn't happen again.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took another shot at it today with the vice scrips. Ran the truck to temp ~210 and hooked up the vice-scrips but couldn't get a good enough grip to break her free. I'm taking the truck in to change the fluids in a week or two so I guess I will just have them change out the fuel filter and the last O2 sensor. Thanks for the suggestions though.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of difficulty removing my O2 sensor until I bought this:

2078709_lg.jpg

It has a great grip that doesn't round off the bolt. I've also used a pipe wrench and stuck a 4 foot long pipe to it and that worked pretty well too :lol:

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the problem may be that the bolt is already starting to round off...but hey it's worth a look.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update, I finally got the b**** loose with some PD blast and a pipe wrench. Thanks again for all the suggestions

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the future I recommend one of these O2 sockets:
27110_.jpg

They can be purchased for as little as $7.50
Also for anyone wishing to use heat with PB blaster or other spray lube be advised most of them are flammable! :D