Replacing Interior Wood Trim, Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khool750

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm thinking of replacing my wood grain trim on the doors, around the Nav, and the steering wheel accents with the nickle finished replacements on wooddashexperts.com. I was wondering has anyone on here replaced the wood trim, and have any pics? If so, did you decide to leave some wood accents, or change them to darker accents, or did you remove all wood accents. I was looking at the set up and thought it would be really cool to have everything replaced with the nickle, and leave the wood pieces around the ac vents and the long strip across the dash. Just a thought and would love the input. I just bought my truck about 2 months ago, and I love it, but wanted to start customizing and was gonna work from the inside out. I have changed the exhaust out for the magnaflow, but wanted to subtle changes to make it unique to my taste. I had wanted to replace the trim with the aluminum and after looking at the z71's I just don't like that there isn't a break in the aluminum. It looks good, but seems as though there should be some dark accent pieces around it.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the overlay kit on and don't like it. I'm really picky though. I can see the brown under it from certain angles. I went with the gray woodgrain which within itself looks fantastic, but I just don't like that you can see what was under it. I'm going to be taking it all back off and having a local shop paint the OE parts black to match the truck. Then, I need to figure out how Lexus does their ambient lighting on the interior. I know it's LEDs but they are mellow. That is my next project.

khool750

Reaction score
hey LVYUKYUK could post pics of your set up by any chance? I understand what you are saying about the brown showing through but I'd like to see what it looks like. I think that the black would be hot, but I have a white hoe, and I just couldn't see having white accents with titanium interior. It might look cool, but I just couldn't see it.

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey LVYUKYUK could post pics of your set up by any chance? I understand what you are saying about the brown showing through but I'd like to see what it looks like. I think that the black would be hot, but I have a white hoe, and I just couldn't see having white accents with titanium interior. It might look cool, but I just couldn't see it.

Yeah not sure about white on the inside. Here are some pics I just quickly got for ya. The GM emblem was off ebay, thought it would be a different touch.

vent.jpg

under.jpg

gauges.jpg

dash.jpg

center.jpg

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then, I need to figure out how Lexus does their ambient lighting on the interior. I know it's LEDs but they are mellow. That is my next project.

Forget Lexus... like almost all automotive break-throughs, Cadillac did it first. .. GM baby!

khool750

Reaction score
Yeah not sure about white on the inside. Here are some pics I just quickly got for ya. The GM emblem was off ebay, thought it would be a different touch.

vent.jpg

under.jpg

gauges.jpg

dash.jpg

center.jpg

Wow, that's exactly what I was looking for. I think it will turn out nicely. Oh, you know, my brother has a Nissan Armada, and it has the ambiant lighting, and that is nice, and you know, you could possibly make that happen. I'm not sure how it's done in caddy, but it can possibly be put in the console area, or maybe overhead if you don't have a sunroof. I was looking into creating a lighting partition in my truck. But thanks for the pics. When I change mine over I will post pics. I'm on a budget, so I may have to bring this thread alive after a few months.

ibobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Okay so I ripped out all that gray overlay stuff that was in my truck. I couldn't stand seeing the brown underneath it. Well, I can't stand the brown either!!! :ack: SO, I got in touch with Greg over at Autodynamicswest.com and he is sending me out a new trim set in black with clear coat. All I have to do is swap out my parts for the ones he is sending and send my old ones back. I can't wait and will be posting pics. Greg is fantastic as I probably asked 15 questions too many! :umn:

LVYUKYUK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone pulled the wood grain out and painted it to color match?

I tried with a set I got off ebay. I am way to picky I found out and just could not get it right in my garage. So, check out the link a few posts above. I have ordered through him, but have not recieved yet. Keep an eye out, as soon as I have them in I will post some pics.