Replacing spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its about that time to do my spark plugs! I'm going with a set of Bosch platinum iridium fusion and i'll also swap the wires while i'm at it. My question is....would i, as an 18 year old with average mechanical skill be able to make the change myself? I have a haynes repair manual for reference but still not 100% sure if i want to take the plunge. Any thoughts?

Val0412

Reaction score
It's not that difficult. The rear plug on the passenger side is the most difficult to wrench on. The toughest part for me was getting the plug wires off. It helped to twist them while still on the plug. Just helps free up the plug wire from the plug. Give yourself a good hour or so. But you can do it. About the worst thing you can do is cross thread the plugs. So make sure they thread in easily. In fact they will wiggle a bit even after you get them screwed in a ways. They should spin pretty easily until they are completely seated. Then you can give em a good one or two strong pulls/pushes.

Should be no problem, Take your time and be careful not to drop the plugs. Piece of cake. :thumbsup:

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Piece of cake. Like Val0412 said, make sure you screw the plugs in by hand first, and after a couple of turns you can put the socket/wrench on there.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change the wires one at a time, and match your lenghts, that way the firing order wont be compromised.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the plug wires are pretty much the same. Coil On Plug, not possible to mix up firing order.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet, thanks for your 2 cents...as far as plugs and wires, does anyone have any recommendations? I was looking at MSD 8mm wires but with all the brands out there i'm a little unsure

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy to do but I wouldn't replace the wires unless you know one is malfunctioning (very rare and the stock wires are fine 100k+). For the plugs I'd recommend not going with the bosch plugs, if you really want platinum pick up a set of the ngk or the factory delcos (ngk makes the oem plugs). Here are some part #'s, you can just call a napa with the stock # and they should have them, I'm guessing you have a 00+ tahoe with a 4.8/5.3? They all work the same for any of the lsx truck motors.
2003 CHEVROLET TAHOE 5.3 V8 T FI
Spark Plug_________Part No.____Stock No.___Plug Gap
V-Power___________TR5_______2238______.040
G-Power___________TR5GP_____3186______.040
Laser Platinum______PTR5D-10___3784______.040
OE Laser Iridium_____ITR5F13____6044______.040
Iridium IX __________TR5IX______7397______.040

Plugs are really easy to do, just get a few angles and a few length extensions for a 3/8" ratchet and it will be done in no time :cheers:

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super easy to do but I wouldn't replace the wires unless you know one is malfunctioning (very rare and the stock wires are fine 100k+). For the plugs I'd recommend not going with the bosch plugs, if you really want platinum pick up a set of the ngk or the factory delcos (ngk makes the oem plugs). Here are some part #'s, you can just call a napa with the stock # and they should have them, I'm guessing you have a 00+ tahoe with a 4.8/5.3? They all work the same for any of the lsx truck motors.
2003 CHEVROLET TAHOE 5.3 V8 T FI
Spark Plug_________Part No.____Stock No.___Plug Gap
V-Power___________TR5_______2238______.040
G-Power___________TR5GP_____3186______.040
Laser Platinum______PTR5D-10___3784______.040
OE Laser Iridium_____ITR5F13____6044______.040
Iridium IX __________TR5IX______7397______.040

Plugs are really easy to do, just get a few angles and a few length extensions for a 3/8" ratchet and it will be done in no time :cheers:

Out of curiosity how come you wouldnt suggest replacing the wires at the same time ?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no need on these engines, the stock plug wires have made over 1000whp with plenty of years of duty and no issue so I'd only recommend upgrading if one of the stock wires fails. I've heard good things about the msd or magnecor wires but most of the aftermarket wires have more issues then the stockers, plus the ridiculously short length doesn't make as much difference as you would hope (similar to the snake oil throttle body spacers for these engines). I gapped my tr6 (colder heat range) ngk v-powers to .35 and picked up some mileage, also smoothed out the powerband 4k+ and idles better too.

FergHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I run a larger gap will i get better gas mileage? I am trying to do some research over at fullsizechevy and the OBS guys say they picked up some mileage with bigger gap.

Anything to help the gas bill wont hurt.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you'll get better mileage from running a .60 gap on these trucks, but I spend more time on the throttle so I could care less about mileage.