Replacing the rear brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VaTahoeLt

Reaction score
Rear brakes are almost ready to be changed out (04 LT with about 59k miles). The piece of metal from the brake pad is starting to make contact with the rotor making the scratching noise.

What are some options if I wanted to go the upgrade route? Looking for links to both rotors and pads.

Also, is it worth it to go ahead and do the front while I'm at it or just wait till they need replacing.

Last edited:

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear brakes are only responsible for about 25% of the braking force. You'd get a lot better bang for the buck upgrading the fronts and keeping stock replacement rear parts.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IMHO, never cheap out on brakes. They keep you and others on or off the road safe. Go with a quality OEM spec or better pad and rotor setup.

Since you are replacing the rears, it would also be a good idea to at least check the front pads and rotors. It only makes sense.

NY946

Reaction score
Should we be replacing pads & rotors at the same time, or can I get away with just new pads for now?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IMHO, you'd replace the rotors if they are rotted, warped beyond specs, or thinner than specs.

It is good practice to at least have the rotors mic'd and checked to be sure they are within tolerance specs.

Having the rotors machined and finsihed with a non directional cut, allows the new pads to seat and breaks the two in.

NY946

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Another quick question - Drilled, Slotted, Both or Regular? I want a good bite and high fade resistance.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should at least check the front for wear. The fronts will normally wear quicker then the rears. I agree with if you upgrade anything, at least the fronts.