Roof rack star bolts....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymt21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things wont budge, anyone have any ideas or tips on how to loosen them up?

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to apply an impact wrench.

Whacking with a hammer may dent the body and I'm not sure how WD-40 will affect the paint job.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
A 1/4 impact will more than certianly strip either the bit or the screw. WD-40 will not damage paint.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they are truely stuck an impact will most likely just twist the teeth on your socket or tear up the screw head. leaving you to drill them out. (roll bar on a CJ5 i had for a few months ate 4-5 T45 bits)

the smack with a hammer does work, but like was already stated, don't dent the roof all up.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just dont strip those things.. PBblaster works, or that freeze on sh*t.. just make sure you have it all the way in and turn slow.. you can use a breaker bar to help ya.. you have the hex's on a socket or allen key??

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO a 3/8 impact wrench set on low (and lower air pressure if necessary) has less of a chance of stripping those bolts (threads and head) than applying a breaker bar. Also less of a chance of breaking the bolt itself if it is in there real bad.

The only way I could get the torx bolts out of the seat was to use an impact wrench but not before breaking 2 torx sockets by applying the breaker bar. Of course there is less meat on the roof and smaller screws.