Roof Top Cargo Box Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darren2008

Reaction score
Just wondering which cargo boxes you guys suggest I get for my 2008 Yukon Denali. I'm looking at the Thule Atlantis in the 1800 or 2100. Any help would be great!

sdoo25

Reaction score
We have the Atlantis 1800 (it may be the 2100 but I don't think so) that we've used on our 07 Tahoe and now on the 07 'Burb. It's been on many trips to Atlanta, North Carolina and the DC area. We've put luggage, strollers, etc in it and everything's been fine. Works great and we've had no problems on all of the trips. We always checked the box at each gas stop to make sure that the box was still securly fastened to the roof rack.

Even though the 2100 has more room, 18cf vs 21cf, you have less weight capacity with it. The standard roof rack on the Tahoe/Burb is rated in the manual for a max of 200 lbs (don't know if you buy thule or yakima cross bars if the max weight increases). The 1800 box weighs 44lbs and the 2100 box weighs 56lbs so you can carry a max of 156lbs of cargo w/the 1800 box and 144lbs of cargo w/the 2100 box.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:

darren2008

Reaction score
Tom....thanks a bunch for your reply! I never thought about the weight of the box on the factory bars, just the amount of stuff I could fit IN the box.

sdoo25

Reaction score
No problem. Now that I'm thinking about it, the boxes may have a weight limit as well, maybe 110 lbs. The Thule website should have that info.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also remember if you need a step ladder to load it before you leave, you'll need one on the other end of the trip to unload.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went a different route and used the Stow Away brand rear carrier...main reason was I didn't want to climb a ladder everytime I needed to load or unload it...plus it holds a ton of luggage or whateveryou want to put in it...I've lined it and picked up a bunch of lobsters...also used it as a huge beer cooler...it is hinged too and swings out of the way...allows me to open the hatch and let the dogs(labs) in and out..heres a link...

http://www.stowaway2.com/?OVRAW=hitch%20mount%20cargo%20carrier&OVKEY=hitch%20mounted%20cargo%20carrier&OVMTC=advanced

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 2100 for my Suburban. Unless you have the Yukon XL, I would suggest sticking with the 1800 otherwise it will be too long. (Unless you dont mind seeing over your windsheild)

I'll be throwing it on the Suburban on Saturday as we're headed for a road trip on Sunday. I'll have pics and a review of the box.

Getting it on/off is pretty easy for me and my wife. She opens the rear door and grabs the front of the box. I grab the back and hold it over my head. She then holds it at waist level with one hand, steps onto the side step and uses the other hand to grab onto the roof rack. Then she lifts (one handed) onto the roof rack, while I continue to hold the rear over my head and guide it over the roof and onto the rack.

Then I take over and move it into postion and secure it. Takes 5 minutes total. No ladder and we're not tall (5'9" and she's 5'4"). It's not that heavy for 2 people.

I believe the max cargo weight for either box is 120lbs, so you wont come near the roof rack limit in either case.

BTW, the thing is dead quiet!!!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I mentioned the ladder, I was referring to getting stuff in and out of the carrier.

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I mentioned the ladder, I was referring to getting stuff in and out of the carrier.

I hear you... I suppose depending on what you're loading you might need one. Generally, I've gotten by fine with just the side step or door sills when loading/unloading. :cool2:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it will. It will be disabled when you start the vehicle.

It does this even with my hitch mounted bike rack.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear box doesn't "piss off " the rear sensor...just disables it while its there..no big deal to me...the damn sensor gets tripped when I have a reciever hitch in.