RSE Workaround for Aftermarket Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxz71

Reaction score
I am looking at installing a new Nav Deck in my 04 Tahoe. In most of my reading it seems that my RSE will no longer work. Is this true on an 04 where the DVD player is actually a part of the unit? I have the wireless headphones also so as long as the thing plays dvds and the headphones work I would be happy. Can I make this happen?

mxz71

Reaction score
FYI for anyone wanting to replace Head unit in 03-06 GM Truck

Curiosity got the best of me so I went out to my truck and pulled the factory head unit out of it. And happily the rear DVD unit still works and the wireless headphones also still work. The only option that I will be giving up is the ability to play the sound from the DVD player through the entire sound system.. NOT A BIG DEAL! So if you are looking to add an aftermarket NAV to your 03-06 GM Truck with the factory RSE you will not lose any major functionality!

JayGee

Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind is that you will lose the ability to use the headphone jacks in the back for DVD. I feel as if there has to be a way around this...

lunny7

Reaction score
do u have a dvd in the rear right next to the screen? I'm worried about this as well and I don't have the wireless head phones I gotta find a way to have the headphone jacks still functional. possibly through the A/V ports attached to the rear dvd player?

JayGee

Reaction score
I have the original OEM Panasonic Roof mounted DVD Player. After installatioon of aftermarket head unit, the ONLY way you will be able to get sound is through wireless headphones. The RCA Jacks that you see on the unit itself are actually an input, in case you wanted to hook up a game console, or really anything for that matter.

Im right there with ya though, I have Kenwood that has the dual zone feature, I would really like to find a way to hardwire some sound to the headunit!