Rust spots on body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jazzlara

Reaction score
Sorry to post about this again, just wanted to make sure it got exposure.

So I have tiny rust spots all over the bottom part of the trunk and doors. Color: Silver Birch Metallic.

20K miles, 2007. Kept clean and in garage.

The wheels are also turning 'cloudy-ish-white'? They are the cheap 16" wheels.

Are these issues covered under factory warranty? I sure hope so, if not I would be soo shocked. I cant believe a new car is doing this. Does GM test their paint at all?

No matter if they paint the whole truck in solid gold to fix this, I'll never buy a chevy again!

Thanks for your time!

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to bet that neither is covered by warranty, and rightfully so.

The tiny rust spots you're seeing are more than likely rail dust, brake dust, or industrial fallout, all of them being basically the same thing: tiny metal fragments that have embedded in the paint and then rusted. This isn't a Chevy problem, it is simply a result of rail transportation and exposure to pollution in general. Claying thoroughly should remove most of the contaminates.

As for your wheels, they likely only need to be cleaned and polished.

Photos of the problem areas will make it much easier to determine what you're dealing with.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that rust may also be caused by fertilizer.. im not sure if youve done it to your lawn or not, but neighboors might of shot some in the street or something.. usually its the iron that you put in your lawn and it rusts everything it touches, possibiilty Idont know.. maybe

Ibcheeky

Reaction score

jazzlara

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Ive never seen anything like this on any of my 7 previous cars, and they all had higher milage and were pre 2006. A couple were show cars with original paint.

I'll try the clay idea,

thanks,

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 on the clay bar. Do you have chrome or 'aluminum' trim parts, and if so, do they have rust?

Just curious. I have the Z71 'aluminum' trim and there are rust spots. I tried a few products, but it only removed the surface rust spots. It happened during the winter, and the dealer thinks it was caused by the de-icing chemicals. They will not replace...

jazzlara

Reaction score
Went to the dealter today and told him i just learned of 'rail-dust' and he said to try the clay and come back if it doesnt work.

As far as the wheels clear coat fading, he said wait until the warranty is almost up and they can get me refinished ones...althought i might spring the $1300 for the 20's.

thanks again!

jazzlara

Reaction score
So the Clay bar and solution did nothing. I rubbed hard, I rubbed soft, I rubbed the way I rub my women at night...nothing worked.

The little rust spots are still there. The dealer said they would 'wet sand' it. Hope they will cover the costs.

On a plus note, I installed my color match handles today. 2.5 hours, pretty easy job (thanks to the dyi posts on here) and makes the truck look SOOO much better.

vette013

Reaction score
my tahoe is the same color: silver birch met. i had the same tiny, almost pinpoint, rust colored marks in my paint also. i used turtle wax bug and tar remover, the liquid type that comes in a black spray bottle (not the thicker paste-like stuff that pours from a can). i am pretty sure i got it at wal-mart. it took most of it out but i had to rub,rub,rub-hard,hard,hard and attack each spot individually. it took a long time and it was a pain in the ass but i wanted them gone. it did a good job on all the other crap that gets stuck on the paint too. oh yea, not that it makes a difference but i used an old t-shirt and sprayed the rag, not the paint. hope this helps

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.....Well I would write off all brands that transport by rail then as this is a common problem.

I think that would eliminate just about every brand including everything coming off ships.

I reported this several weeks ago on my white paint. It's a rust stain, not a pock mark or ding. It came off very easily using a prewax, in my case Liquid Glass Pre-wax. As other noted, it's iron dust from the rails and wheels that adheres to the paint I guess from electrostatic charge. Wonder if it's on all months, or only those built in the dry winter months? I found the clay bar did nothing. It required a little elbow grease and the pre-wax to remove it. I would NOT let them wet sand your new finish.