Scary problem with my 5300K H13 Bi-Xenon kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sbrown02

Reaction score
Hi all,

Few months ago I purchased and had professionally installed the 5300K McCulloch H13/9008 Bi-Xenon HID Kit from Ultrabrightlights.com. They've been working great until last night.

My family and I are driving through rural Idaho (we're on a road trip) late last night. The outside temps on my Denali were showing anywhere from +5 to -9 degrees (F). We were driving 70mph on a narrow rural two lane road with snow and drop offs on both sides of me when I go to turn my brights on. However, instead of turning the brights on all my front headlights go completely out.:wow: At that point I'm driving in complete darkness. I immediately flip the switch back and my regular bulbs come back on.

At that point I was scared to death my regular bulbs would go out on me. Later when driving through small town where streets lights were I tested it further and it kept doing the same thing on and off. It was a crap shoot whether or not the brights would work or all the lights would go off, so I stopped using the brights altogether.

Anybody else experiencing this or have experience driving with this kit in very cold temps (below zero) and not see this problem? We live in Kansas and rarely see below zero temps, so this was the first time driving with my Denali in extremely cold weather.

I've got an email into Danny at Ultrabrightlights to see what he thinks.

BTW, this is our first long road trip in our Denali and we LOVE IT.:D Wow, what a difference the 6.2L engine, 6 spd transmission, etc., make going over these mountains. And that's not to mention all the other creature comforts (remote start and heated strearing wheel, etc.). I don't think I could ever go back to a Suburban or standard Yukon.

Thanks

Steven

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the ground connections...

I have this exact setup. I have NOT experienced the problem you mentioned. The McCulloch bi-xenons high beams and low beams use the same bulb, the same xenon plasma arc. There is a solenoid that moves the bulbs (beams) into a higher position when you activate the brights. Why activating that solenoid causes the arcs to go out completely is beyond me, and I can see why that'd be scary. Perhaps there's a grounding issue or something. I'd wait to see what Danny says, and hopefully it's something simple.

In the mean time, I'd do some troubleshooting and check out those ground connections. I had some trouble with them on my install, and had to extend the grounds to a chassis bolt (both sides are grounded at the same point).

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

sbrown02

Reaction score
I'll check the grounding, but I'm betting the cold weather did something to cause this. I've never had a problem with them up until now.

Thanks for the input. Danny says he's going to check with the manufacturer and will get back to me in a couple of days.

robsatx

Reaction score

There is an old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. At least on your daily driver . . .

I had a bimmer with Xenons, very nice. But I would not add these kits to a car after the fact. Just asking for problems to arise. Heat, power and number of other factors come in to play. Also do these afermarket lights auto level so you don't blind oncoming peeps?

I like to "tune" my cars, but I make sure my daily driver is pretty much bullet proof and not annoying to other drivers.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the grounding, but I'm betting the cold weather did something to cause this. I've never had a problem with them up until now.

Thanks for the input. Danny says he's going to check with the manufacturer and will get back to me in a couple of days.

Cold, salt and chemicals on road + water, who knows... It could be any or all of that for sure!

There is an old saying, if it ain't broke don't fix it. At least on your daily driver . . .

I had a bimmer with Xenons, very nice. But I would not add these kits to a car after the fact. Just asking for problems to arise. Heat, power and number of other factors come in to play. Also do these afermarket lights auto level so you don't blind oncoming peeps?

I like to "tune" my cars, but I make sure my daily driver is pretty much bullet proof and not annoying to other drivers.

I'll buy that, but he's got a problem, and telling him not to mod things at this point is, well, pointless.

There are no heat issues with these HIDs in the factory projector housings. And nope, these kits don't add any sort of "auto hi/low beam" function, which doesn't exist on a Yukon Denali from the factory today anyway (cool feature, but not available on these GMs).

I agree with you re: not annoying other drivers, esp. with HID lights, which is why I personally went with something in the 5000K color range. If they were any "bluer", I think they'd be somewhat obnoxious, or at least distracting to other drivers.

sbrown02

Reaction score
Also do these afermarket lights auto level so you don't blind oncoming peeps?

The stock lights on these trucks are pathetic compared to HIDs. And while it doesn't come with auto level, it can be adjusted easily to ensure this doesn't happen. I had mine installed by Goodyear.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock lights on these trucks are pathetic compared to HIDs. And while it doesn't come with auto level, it can be adjusted easily to ensure this doesn't happen. I had mine installed by Goodyear.

:iagree:

And, pathetic compared to the stock halogens on the GMT800 I upgraded from a year ago. Probably one of the best mods I've done on my truck, and well worth the cost. [Not to mention the improved night safety for my wife and kids...] I would also agree with others that this feature needs to be standard from the factory on Denali's (+ LTZ Chevys) and an option for all other Yukons + Hoes + Burbs....

robsatx

Reaction score

The autoleveling is important when you are going up and down hills. So you can adjust all you want but you will still blind peeps.

The lights in my bimmer were not static like the aftermarket kits being installed. I just know I (not the only one I am sure) find it VERY annoying when peeps add those aftermarket HIDs to their cars blinding everyone down the road thinking they look "cool". In MOST cases I see HID adders like fart can exhaust on a honda civic.

Everyone has the option to "tune" their ride however they want, but I don't think it should annoy or worse yet cause hazardous driving conditions for others.

sbrown02

Reaction score
Everyone has the option to "tune" their ride however they want, but I don't think it should annoy or worse yet cause hazardous driving conditions for others.

Perhaps you should talk to your congressman. Otherwise, thanks for the lesson in social responsibility.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

robsatx, I TOTALLY agree! I've been blinded far too many times by beaner-mobile's with poorly installed blue/purple HIDs. Here in VA, we have an annual vehicle safety inspection that will cause them to fail, but beyond that, the police pull over the ricers / hoopdies / posers / tuners (whatever you wanna call them) and cite them for things like tint / lights that are illegal.

I do wish my Denali could "see" around corners and over hilltops, but until GM can make their active headlight system available on these SUVs, I'm outta luck. They've made it an option on the Buick Enclave (part of the $925 luxury package), but that doesn't help me...

I wish all other drivers were as conscientious as you seem (and others of us here seem). In the mean time I'll just have to deal with the stock projectors and aftermarket headlights that are actually useful (and leave the enforcement of those who are negligent to the folks who are elected / enlisted to do so).

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok where was I when all this happened I have alot to add but I'm on my iPhone so when I get back to the office I Will add to this so called reason we should not mod our trucks ps the gmt800 light are ok but not as good as our Acadia and enclaves lights those rock and are stock from gm and we still get flashed I just flag back and laugh at their faces.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't gotten flashed even once since I put the HIDs in...
ne_nau.gif

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, couple things here.

1. who are you to say what i can and cant do to my truck.

2. hids are SAFER!! why would my insurance give us discounts on cars with hids, we get discounts on our acadia and enclave and when my kit is installed i will be elgable.

3. auto level is just another thing to go wrong. gm sold us an acadia and enclave with STOCK HIDS with no auto level, we get flahsed every once and a while but other cars that have them dont bug us.

4. my lights ok, but there is always room for more power, so yes im gunna do it, if it were possable i would have HID tail lights.

5. i have aimed mine low so they dont blind people, people who see my yukon dont flash (aftermarket) while were in the acadia or enclave (stock hids) DO FLASH. what does that tell you there, and no its not the set of drivers as they always do on the acadia or enclave and never on my yukon with hids. and if they do i flash back and laugh as they get a shocked face.

6. the stock housings on the gmt 800s (not sure about the 900s sorry) are fantastic, i just replaced mine with denali housings and the cut off beam is awsome. why should i spend 500 a piece on true hid lenses when the stock ones are so good?? i dont need to.

7. Technaclly the headlights are broke as they are so darn DIM.

8. IM DONE :rolleyes2:

p.s. getwired, the 925 dollar luxury packedge is so worth it, but they go side to side not up and down like robo cop is talking about .

why did gm get rid of the twilight feature, on our 86 and 98 cadi the twilight senses other cars and automaticly turns off the high beams, why cant the twilight for the auto headlights do that on the suvs??? would be a nice feature as i love them when driving the old back country.

Last edited:

robsatx

Reaction score
ok, couple things here.

1. who are you to say what i can and cant do to my truck.
Hmm, maybe you should read my post again.

2. hids are SAFER!! why would my insurance give us discounts on cars with hids, we get discounts on our acadia and enclave and when my kit is installed i will be elgable.

Called my state farm agent, personal friend. NO DISCOUNT for aftermarket HID and many cars do not qualify with factory HIDS.

3. auto level is just another thing to go wrong. gm sold us an acadia and enclave with STOCK HIDS with no auto level, we get flahsed every once and a while but other cars that have them dont bug us.

Auto level is a killer feature as you don't have to point your lights down to avoid blinding peeps.

4. my lights ok, but there is always room for more power, so yes im gunna do it, if it were possable i would have HID tail lights.

5. i have aimed mine low so they dont blind people, people who see my yukon dont flash (aftermarket) while were in the acadia or enclave (stock hids) DO FLASH. what does that tell you there, and no its not the set of drivers as they always do on the acadia or enclave and never on my yukon with hids. and if they do i flash back and laugh as they get a shocked face.

I would bet you have you finger just waiting to flash folks.

6. the stock housings on the gmt 800s (not sure about the 900s sorry) are fantastic, i just replaced mine with denali housings and the cut off beam is awsome. why should i spend 500 a piece on true hid lenses when the stock ones are so good?? i dont need to.

7. Technaclly the headlights are broke as they are so darn DIM.

8. IM DONE :rolleyes2:

p.s. getwired, the 925 dollar luxury packedge is so worth it, but they go side to side not up and down like robo cop is talking about .

why did gm get rid of the twilight feature, on our 86 and 98 cadi the twilight senses other cars and automaticly turns off the high beams, why cant the twilight for the auto headlights do that on the suvs??? would be a nice feature as i love them when driving the old back country.

I am glad we can agree to disagree. But like I said before. IMO, aftermarket HIDS are like fart can exhaust on honda. They scream look at me I added HIDS to my Chevy cause I can't afford a Bimmer or Lexus.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you two lovers ought to take the love-fest off-line :ura: and leave this thread for sbrown02 to figure out what's up with his HIDs. If would be a shame if a mod had to lock the thread or threaten anyone with the "ban stick" due to trolling/fighting about retarded crap.

I'm outta here. sbrown02, if you want help with your HIDs after you've looked at things, feel free to PM me...

:leaving:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am glad we can agree to disagree. But like I said before. IMO, aftermarket HIDS are like fart can exhaust on honda. They scream look at me I added HIDS to my Chevy cause I can't afford a Bimmer or Lexus.

but im done posting to this thred enless i can help the op insted of bashing him and everybody else, i dont want to look bad on the forum.

have a nice day.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard tons of people having problems with bi-xenons in every car. My friends totally stoped working in his g500. I've never got bi-xenons for this reason. HIDs are bright enough on low beams for me. ;)

Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hate to beat the dead horse into the ground, but I seem to remember the title on this thread being "Scary problem with my 5300K H13 Bi-Xenon kit" or something along those lines, if we have nothing nice or helpful to say, let's just keep the negative stuff under wraps, this is a great forum, filled with outstanding people, let's attempt to follow suit in that direction.

I think you two lovers ought to take the love-fest off-line :ura: and leave this thread for sbrown02 to figure out what's up with his HIDs. If would be a shame if a mod had to lock the thread or threaten anyone with the "ban stick" due to trolling/fighting about retarded crap.

I'm outta here. sbrown02, if you want help with your HIDs after you've looked at things, feel free to PM me...

:leaving:

:iagree:

sbrown02: if you get this solved, please be sure to keep us informed, I will be moving back to NY and getting these HID's is something I've been nervous about pulling the trigger on, and your mishap added to the jitters. Glad everyone was ok after lights out @ 70MPH. If it's something that occurs in cold weather, I'm a little skeptical.

Getwired: have you had these lights on there for a previous winter season? No trace of the same occurrence as you have stated before, but have you exposed your lights to such low temperatures?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired: have you had these lights on there for a previous winter season? No trace of the same occurrence as you have stated before, but have you exposed your lights to such low temperatures?

No issues here. I installed them this summer. Temps here have been below freezing off and on, and it's 14 out tonight, and I just got back from taking some pics of the HID fogs (will post 'em all in my other thread). NO issues thus far. I really don't use the hi-beams much (unless I'm on a flat, straight, pitch-black back road like US-74 in NC, and no cars are around), because as PatrykKoul points out, they illuminate things just fine on low...

Good luck sbrown02!

Last edited: