Service 4wd Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fletch57

Reaction score
I am new and hope I'm in the right place. I have a 1998 tahoe that is stuck in 4wd and the "service 4wd" light is on. The LED's on the push button switch are off. Please help!

Last edited:

BoostJunkE

Reaction score
I am new and hope I'm in the right place. I have a 1998 tahoe that is stuck in 4wd and the "service 4wd" light is on. The LED's on the push button switch are off. Please help!

I'm not a fan of the new electronic 4WD switch system. We used to have a 96 LT 4X4 Tahoe that still used the good ole handle. That was a good Tahoe until some lady ran a red light:mad: So we ended up buying a new 04' Z71 Tahoe. The first year we had it some 4WD switch/sensor messed up making it pop in and out of 4WD. It worked fine for years until a few weeks ago. It got stuck in 4WD just like what your Tahoe is doing when I stuck it in 4WD Low. This was the first time I used 4WD low. Anyhow, I played with the switches and cut the truck on and off a few times and it finnaly dis-engauged. The 4WD system has been fine since but the fuel pump took a dump a few days ago lol

fletch57

Reaction score
I purchased a brand new dash mounted switch from a local dealer, the LED's will light-up when the key is turned on but go off when it starts running. It does not indicate what is engaged on the switch, no light on the switch. I tried disconnecting the battery and that did not work! Is there something I can do?

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a switch on the transfer case that actually tells it what to do that sometimes go out, leaving you high and dry.

luckily mines not screwed up on me yet, but then again i have only used it a handful of times.

fletch57

Reaction score
Service 4wd Problelm

theres a switch on the transfer case that actually tells it what to do that sometimes go out, leaving you high and dry.

luckily mines not screwed up on me yet, but then again i have only used it a handful of times.

What is the name of that switch, is it expensive, is it difficult to replace?

fletch57

Reaction score
What is the name of that switch, is it expensive, is it difficult to replace?

I finally found out what the problem was.

The transfer case encoder motor was bad, I already had it repaired at a local dealer. $$$$$:mad3:

Thanks to everyones input and the information that was provided here.:cool2:

Fletch57

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if this encoder is the problem in my case... '98 Yukon w/ buttons on dash to engage 4x4. The 2HI is lit currently as it should be. However when I try to go into 4x4 and press 4HI... Nothing happens. 4LO and nothing happens either. And if so how easy is the encoder to install? See them on eBay

fletch57

Reaction score
Anyone know if this encoder is the problem in my case... '98 Yukon w/ buttons on dash to engage 4x4. The 2HI is lit currently as it should be. However when I try to go into 4x4 and press 4HI... Nothing happens. 4LO and nothing happens either. And if so how easy is the encoder to install? See them on eBay

I would suggest this, go to one of your local chevy dealers and have them diagnose the problem (it cost me $85), they should be able to tell you what part is defective.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem. All the lights out on my '98. Found out on one of my expeditions into a local mud pit, a rock tore through all the wires into the motor. Found a baseball size rock up in the skid plate, probably the assailant. Spliced 'em back together and problem solved