Should I get a Denali or loaded up Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airbornedoc

Reaction score
Okay I definitely am getting a Yukon the only question is which package. I think I can get a loaded Yukon a few thousand cheaper than a base Denali, which are all loaded, at least all the ones on the dealer lot here.

I don't want nav, retractable running boards.

I do want the fuel management system, which you can't get on the Denali.

I also want the 6 speed automatic which comes on the Denali and I believe GM is now making on loaded yukons.

Here is the problem: I can't find any loaded Yukons (non-Denali's) 4X4 in the southeast. My salesman says there are none. I live in Panama City.

Is it going to be easier to just go with the AWD Denali than keep searching for a loaded 4X4 Yukon with 6 speed transmission?

Any thoughts out there?

Airbornedoc

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I definitely am getting a Yukon the only question is which package. I think I can get a loaded Yukon a few thousand cheaper than a base Denali, which are all loaded, at least all the ones on the dealer lot here.

I don't want nav, retractable running boards.

I do want the fuel management system, which you can't get on the Denali.

I also want the 6 speed automatic which comes on the Denali and I believe GM is now making on loaded yukons.

Here is the problem: I can't find any loaded Yukons (non-Denali's) 4X4 in the southeast. My salesman says there are none. I live in Panama City.

Is it going to be easier to just go with the AWD Denali than keep searching for a loaded 4X4 Yukon with 6 speed transmission?

Any thoughts out there?

Airbornedoc

the 6 speed yukons wont be out until this summer. so right now its a 4 speed on the regular yukon and a 6 speed on the denali. i would get a denali, you will be happier with the power upgrade.

08 Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the active fuel management is available on the 5.3, which is currently only mated-up to the 4 speed Tranny. At least it was that way in January, when I purchased. We placed an order and got ours in 6 weeks.

beach109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the active fuel management is available on the 5.3, which is currently only mated-up to the 4 speed Tranny. At least it was that way in January, when I purchased. We placed an order and got ours in 6 weeks.

Correct. The ONLY Yukon's with a 6-speed right now are Denali's with the 6.2L.

For the '08s, regular Yukon's are 5.3L's with Active Fuel Management and the 4-speed only.

It is not until the '09 model year, which starts production in June/July that the regular Yukon/Tahoe/etc. will get a 6-speed with the 5.3L.

My advice? Given the price of a fully loaded "regular" Yukon, just get a Denali. The difference is actually rather small, and the interior upgrades, outside details, and 6.2L/6-speed are more than worth it, and actually a big reason why there actually aren't as many FULLY decked out Yukon's made or sold. That is, unless you want a 2wd, want more color choices than the Denali, etc.

Otherwise, just get a Denali. Or wait until you can order an '09, and get that with the 5.3L/6-speed or 6.2L if/how it's optional. Basically, Denali all the way, if you want a fully decked out Yukon...and also don't mind the automatic AWD vs. selectable 4wd.

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget, there's a difference between 4WD and AWD. If you want 4WD, I'd wait and order an '09 Yukon with exactly what you want. If AWD will work (in orther words, you don't want to take it off-road) then you have already been given good advice by other members.