slipped on ramp, almost sunk Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TARJr

Reaction score
I was backing my boat in the water last weekend, and since it was 6:00am, I was in moron mode. The ramp was full of seaweed (which had been there for several weeks). After I backed the boat in the water, I had to get out of the car to pull the boat off so I put it in Park, still running, and applied the emerg. brake and proceeded to get out of my 07 Tahoe (4wd LTZ) when it started sliding down the ramp...in a panic I just sat there...stunned, while the car slid 4 feet (when all I had to do was hit the brake and the front disks would have stopped it). Apparently, the rear wheels had lost traction on the slimy seaweed. My question is, if I had engaged 4wd High, would that have prevented the slide?

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4x4

If you had not been in moron mode you could have just gave it a little gas and stopped it maybe. Putting it in 4 wheel may have done it also.
I wouldn't put any boat in the water without it engaged. I would think maybe the front brakes would have held it but if the weight had already started slipping then it may not have. Who knows!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
If you had not been in moron mode you could have just gave it a little gas and stopped it maybe. Putting it in 4 wheel may have done it also.
I wouldn't put any boat in the water without it engaged. I would think maybe the front brakes would have held it but if the weight had already started slipping then it may not have. Who knows!

OK be nice, lets keep it friendly here.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4wd Tahoes have a transfer case that can be used in 4 wheel high, 4 wheel low or in auto mode. Had you put the truck in 4 wheel high, and assuming that both front wheels had at least some traction you would have been fine. That being said, had you put the brakes on and the front wheels had some traction you would have stopped the backwards slip, but you would not have been able to pull forward without 4wd engaged unless the backend was free of the slime. I ALWAYS use 4wd on my Tahoe when backing a trailer into the water or pulling it out. You already paid for it why not use it?

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
The 4wd Tahoes have a transfer case that can be used in 4 wheel high, 4 wheel low or in auto mode. Had you put the truck in 4 wheel high, and assuming that both front wheels had at least some traction you would have been fine. That being said, had you put the brakes on and the front wheels had some traction you would have stopped the backwards slip, but you would not have been able to pull forward without 4wd engaged unless the backend was free of the slime. I ALWAYS use 4wd on my Tahoe when backing a trailer into the water or pulling it out. You already paid for it why not use it?

Well said, when I do get my 4X4 Z71 I will always run it in auto mode as one time I was turning a corner in my older jeep Cherokee(now sold) and I hit some cooking oil that had spilled on the street and you could not see it as it was like hitting ice, so I popped it in 4 high temporarily until I cleared the mess staying in control.

Last edited:

elacher10

Reaction score
i have a two wheel drive tahoe and i have now problem launching and pulling my boat out of the water and i have a 22 ft tige boat. i am guessing you must have been in some serious seaweed

ChacHoe

Reaction score
Once the boat hit the water it would have stopped cuz the weight would be off... I think. Well I've never had that problem cuz I've only towed 2 jet skis. Wish I had 4 wheel drive. Then again, I'd probably be wishing for better gas mileage if I did. Bah!