Spark Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i'm a couple days short of hitting the big 100k mark and i'm going to repalce the stock plugs in my truck. I'm not looking at getting OEM ones, but something that would help run a hotter spark, maybe like Delco rapidfire, Bosch iridium, etc

My question is, have any of you ever replaced your plugs, if so....did you notice any improvement in gas mileage, power, anything???

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just switched to the Bosch Fusion IR (Iridium). They seem like they're the BOMB! BUT!!!!!!!! 1 problem i didn't plan on having was...... during taking the 8 plug WIRES off, on 4 of them, the plug end's internal piece that grabs onto the nipple of the spark plug... ripped out! Cutting off any kind of electrical connection that wire would have made. I even tried to fix the wires, then re-install them. BUT my truck could hardly even run at all. Good thing i did the plug change in front of Advanced Auto Parts, because i HAD to go right back in and pick up a set of new plug wires and put them on before i could even leave. Good thing was, it made me swap the wires at the same time, and now it runs like it was 5 years younger. Just sucked b/c I was short on time and money that day and ended up spending both! Sorry for writing a book, but this did happen to me and i was pissed. So just, giving you the heads up!

But in all, i'm for sure happy with the plug change. I swapped from the AC Delco Iridium to the Bosch Fusion IR. I'm glad I did too. I'm sure that a new set of wires helps them out too though. Advanced auto carried the Fusion IR's for $7.98 and the wire set was like $36.00 for the cheapy but they seem fine for now.

shadow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to do mine (5.3L Tahoe '00) with the exact same ones that came in the engine when it was built.

2 reasons -

1. At 97K miles now and still runs like the day I bought it with the original plugs
2. My mechanic friend (very good one) replaced his plugs in his 5.3L pickup with another type (non OEM), and had to pull them out and replace with OEM originals. He also did wires at the same time.

Not saying though that plugs from another supplier would not be fine, but those 2 points I mentioned lead me down the OEM path for the plugs at least.

When I do mine though, I am going with an aftermarket set of low resistance wires (MSD, ACCEL or the like).

Just my 2 cents

STREETutilityVEHICLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had switched to AC Delco Iridium (which i hear is what OEM is) and had those in for a while, then i decided i wanted to try something that would have a bit more spark. I switched to the Bosch Fusion IR's and it certainly made an improvement. I had read on the box that they claim it was better than OEM Iridium plugs so i gave them a try and I'll be sticking them in again next time. I've been told to try the Denso Iridium plugs, but I'm happy with bosch. Just wanted to chime in again and say that I have had good luck with these. But, i'd be reluctant to swap for any of the other Iridium plugs. Just my 2 cents.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NGK tr55s, should be about $2 each at a local napa and the part # should be 3951 for the v-powers. I wouldn't waste your money on bosch or anything platinum, stock plugs are good but I love my tr6's gapped to .40 as they wait for nitrous.