Squealing left front, only when turning right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeTN

Reaction score
Basic info: I've got an '02 4WD LT 5.3L w/ 193k miles, owned since 154k.

Short story: Anyone have experience with a rhythmic squeaking coming from the front end that only happens when turning in one direction?

Long story: I noticed back in the fall, driving with the windows down, that when I took right curves at speed (i.e. not right turn from a stop) I could hear a faint "shuf shuf shuf" coming from the left front (driver side). It was barely audible and I didn't pay all that much attention to it.

Fast forward to the spring, first time driving with the windows down, and I notice a pretty prominent "squeak squeak squeak" coming from the left front during right turns, both from a stop and at speed, and sometimes even when braking in a straight line.

If I'm going highway speed, 60mph+, it is not a "squeak squeak squeak" but just one long squeal for the duration of the right-hand curve.

The noise does not seem to vary in speed or loudness going over bumps or undulating sections of road, but when it occurs it is very rhythmic and my gut is that it is squeaking in rhythm with the rotation of the wheel.

I don't know much about the front end of these things, but I'm assuming with 4WD that they have some kind of CV joint up front like a FWD car would, could that be the culprit? My other thought was a wheel bearing, but I don't really have experience with issues in either of those areas, so they're just guesses.

Anyone have experience with a rhythmic squeaking coming from the front end that only happens when turning one direction?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chances are its the left front hub bearing assy a way to check it is jack up the front end and put one hand at 12 o clock and the other at 6 oclock and see if the tire rocks while pushing in at 12 and pulling at 6 if theres any type movement its the hub bearing assy

TahoeTN

Reaction score
Cool man, thanks for the info and fast reply. Honestly I'm kind of hoping I get the wobble, replacing the hub doesn't sound like tooooooo much trouble compared to whatever else might be going on at the front end.

I should be able to check this later today, will post back here with what I find.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just another tip here even if it doesn't wobble doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't bad while you have the front end jacked up you can spin the wheel it wont spin as much being you have a 4x4 but just compare the noises it makes to the right side when spinning it sometimes you can get some abnormal grinding crunching noises out of it too... good luck and may the force be with you :)

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, wheel bearing. If you havent replaced it since 154K and you in the 190's now, you def got your $$$$ out of them I had to replace both of mine before 100k. If one side is bad, better replace both. And get quality bearings, like timkin. Autorock has them for just over $100 each.