Stability System Disabled ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshposh007

Reaction score
I've got a '05 4WD Tahoe LS with 88,000 kms. Recently when I started the truck, the LED display in the dash says "STABILITY SYS DISABLED" and the 4WD indicator light on the left hand side of the dash says the vehicle is in 4WD Low, after me shutting the vehicle down in 2WD previously. I've tried to switch back into 2WD, but the light just blinks for awhile, then stops. It does not go back to 2WD. It doesn't feel like the engine is in 4WD, but it's concerning none the less.

The engine also acts very sluggish when this "STABILITY SYS DISABLED" message is displayed.

I read in some forum to do the following to put it back to 2WD.
*** Make sure your vehicle is in Neutral when trying to return to 2WD from 4WD Low.

I did as instructed and it seemed to work. Does anybody know if this is a serious problem that I need to have a mechanic run some test on it? Doe s anybody know what this symptom is & point me at the right direction to have it fixed? I'd rather not take it to a dealer right away, does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unfortunatly there are too many components to guess at without a code. if you can pull a code it will help try auto zone for a free code scan or go to the dealer and slide a tech 20 to do it. then come back and i can help.

joshposh007

Reaction score
Stability System Disabled????

Brodg,

Thank you for replying. Sorry for being so ignorant about this, but what code are you referring to specifically.

Is this something I can find in the vehicle manual?

Thanks again.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your computer might be sensing that something is wrong, therefore it will produce a "code" that can only be retrieved by hooking up a scanner device to the computer plug-in port. By doing this will help narrow down the search of the problem, if there is even a code present at the computer at all.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it would be a code pulled with a scanner the module it will be in is called the rtd module i don't think auto zone will be able to retrieve it only a gm tech 2 can monitor this module.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when ever the vehicle is put in 4lo, it disables the stability system. So its not your stability system, its your 4x4 system. Your engine will feel sluggish in 4lo and you should not go above 25 mph in 4 lo. It could be as simple as a switch, or super complicated.

RIDE N FLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 05 and i have the same problem except mine comes on while i'm driving, but it is still in 2wd mode. It doesn't drive any differently, its just annoying to see it come on and not know why. If anyone finds a solution that would be great.

gasser76

Reaction score
RIDE N FLY,

Where you able to figure out your problem? I have the exact same issue. No other errors messages or codes. Just the "Stability System Disabled" while in 2wd. It flashes quite often.

Spartus

Reaction score
my 2003 Sierra did that same thing. They replaced the 4wd selector switch on the dash and reflashed the pcm at the dealer.. Problem fixed. My cruise control wouldn't work either, but since it thought I was in 4wd-lo then I don't blame it.

ZombCJ

Reaction score
I am having a similar problem with my 2006 4wd Tahoe right now. At first the stability system disabled message would flash. Usually after turning the truck off or driving it for a short distance the message would go off. After about 2 months it started staying on all the time. Now I am also getting a service 4wd message. The switch on the dash sometimes shows awd and sometimes shows 2wd, but it won't change if you press any of the buttons. I have an appt at the dealer this Friday. I will post what I find out. In the meantime I may take it to autozone just to see if they can plug in a diagnostic check and give me an error code.

poison1vy

Reaction score
So I have the same problem with my 04. I have replaced the tires, front hubs, breaks, struts, and cv axle. and it still has the light comes on while driving. Sometime when I am doing 40 and hit the breaks while in a right turn the breaks feel like there not engaging, or having trouble. This is when the light comes on and it sounds like it is trying to go in 4wd. Please help..