starting problems-fuel pump/electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstahoe

Reaction score
So here is my story:

Around a month ago my wife went to start our 2001 tahoe with the 5.3, it turned over but wouldn't start. When I got home I pushed in a bunch of relays that had all giggled loose on her daily 10 mile dirt road commute and then it started right up, problem solved. Then a week or so later it did the same thing. The relays were all in place and I tried a few different relays and could see that they were all functioning, so that didn't seem to be the problem anymore. After cranking on the starter for a little while, but not too long, the battery died. When I charged it up, it started right up and worked fine for 2 weeks. Now just the other day it wouldn't start and I couldn't hear the fuel pump and charging the battery didn't seem to do anything. After sitting for 2 days it started and is running fine now. I know that it sounds like a fuel pump issue but something tells me that it is more of an electrical/computer problem. The daytime running lights aren't working at the moment but I remember that they were working at the same time as the fuel pump the other day so that isn't a direct correlation but tells me that something is up. Also the volts meter seems to be reading on the high side when running, maybe 16 not for sure though. We have also had unexplained issues with the heating system controls that I could only attribute to the computer, this was earlier in the summer. The local napa checked the battery and said it was good. I found 1 ground at the back /drivers side of the engine that seems to be intact, but don't know where any others are located. Any thought or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Ben

bstahoe

Reaction score
It does have spark. I don't have a way to test fuel pressure, but I'm pretty sure that the pump isn't pumping at all. I just don't know if it is do to a pump problem or a computer/electrical problem. A coworker said that there might be a lead under the hood somewhere that will allow me to plug the fuel pump in directly to test the pump itself, has anyone ever heard of this? If it is a fuel pump issue, how long after if first starts until you would expect the pump to fail completely?