Superchips vs. Edge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody out there had any experience with any or both of these tuners for the new Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon's? I currently have the Superchips Flashpaq and was impressed with the increase in power and fuel economy, but Edge's claims of HP increases have caught my eye. The most HP gains you can expect with the Superchips is 20 (to the wheels) and Edge is claiming 40 (to the wheels). Anybody have any first hand experience?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say the claims could be real, but the real non-answer for now is: "it depends".

I went with Edge over Superchips due to the easy Internet-updatable architecture, smart PC-based software, built-in performance tests, future customization, "gadget factor", etc. Plus, I asked around here if anyone had Superchips experience on the 6.2/6-speed, and didn't get any responses....

I have a 2007 Yukon XL Denali with a 6.2L / 6-speed, and the Edge Evolution doesn't fully support the 6-speed trans yet. Given the "butt-dyno" feel of the "extreme" tune over "stock", I wouldn't be surprised if they do ultimately get an additional 40 HP out of this setup, but I'm pretty sure it's not happening today. Fuel economy gains have been my main driver for getting a programmer, but the extreme tune gives me a nice performance boost too... I've definitely seen fuel economy gains. Towing on extreme got me +1MPG over stock; highway cruising on extreme gets me +2.5MPG over stock. I have yet to fully try the "economy" tune...

I suspect on a 5.3 or 6.0 it'll do some really nice stuff, but I'm still patiently awaiting Edge's full support of my vehicle's 6.2L/6-speed combo for now.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should add that I think that the Edge Evolution is a fantastic product, and Edge Tech Support has been very much "on the ball" as far as updating vehicle calibrations, answering my questions, etc.

If you're "on the fence", I hope my comments help steer you to the Edge product -- the more people with a 6.2L/6-speed setup using this, the better!!!!

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response Getwired! I've had the Superchips Flashpaq for over a year now. I originally had it on my '07 Tahoe, then moved it to my '07 Yukon XL, and have now moved it to my new '07 Yukon XL Denali. The Superchips increase in power was noticable on all the vehicles while also increasing mpg. I took out our new Denali last night for the first test drive with the Flashpaq installed and WOW, there was a huge increase in acceleration. Having enough power to get an AWD vehicle of this size to spin all 4 tires enough to have the stabilitrak kick in on dry pavement was impressive! When I asked Superchips & Edge about actual HP gains on the 6.2L I was told 20 for the Superchips and 35 for the Edge. I am just trying to decide if it is worth selling my Flashpaq and going with Edge.

vkuber

Reaction score
I am on the same boat as you.
08 tahoe ltz and not sure to go EDGE or SuperChips.
hmmmm.

sbrown02

Reaction score
Getwired - Just a few questions. First, can you post of picture of where you mounted it and what it looks like? What does your wife think of it since she drives the vehicle most (like mine)? From reading your posts, sounds like we're very similar, i.e., we just bought an 07 Yukon XL Denali with the 2nd row bench. Lastly, with the MPG gains you say your're experiencing, how long till it pays for itself?

Thanks

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired - Just a few questions. First, can you post of picture of where you mounted it and what it looks like? What does your wife think of it since she drives the vehicle most (like mine)? From reading your posts, sounds like we're very similar, i.e., we just bought an 07 Yukon XL Denali with the 2nd row bench. Lastly, with the MPG gains you say your're experiencing, how long till it pays for itself?

Thanks

So, yeah, I haven't actually mounted the unit. I only connect it when I re-program the PCM, which is usually once every 1-2 weeks depending on updates from Edge. I have the mounting holder/pod for "Dash B", which you would need to send off for (no charge) from Edge. It looks nice enough, but my wife would undoubtedly hate it/me if I installed it semi-permanently. Too much "stuff" on there that she'd "worry about" or whatever. :cool: I keep it stowed in the center console so I can whip it out when I need to...

Figuring gas prices @ around $3.00 for premium (and my Edge cost and economy gains), it'll probably take me about another 5500 miles for it to fully pay for itself. Along with the Volant CAI, it is a very worthy investment in terms of additional performance, power, and economy. :yesnod:

If you're "on the fence" so to speak, find a local Edge dealer, and go for it! I need to mention that with the rebate check I'll receive soon, I will have paid $310.00, which is probably a pretty hot deal on that unit.

sbrown02

Reaction score
Very helpful on the Edge product. What does the Volant CAI provide and where does one purchase and install it?

Thanks

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Click on the link in my sig! A cool air intake provides the engine with more air, which generally translates to better throttle response, throatier sound, slightly more power, and usually better fuel economy. Volant was my choice, but there are other good choices as well... You might check autoanything.com to see what kind of deals they're having, but I got mine via eBay and saved some money. Installation is straight-forward and easy, even for a non-DIYer. Just read the instructions on their site -- it's really simple. A shop would do it, but would charge you an hour labor for something that takes like 15 minutes.

So, the better your engine "breathes" the better it performs. The Denali already has a pretty beefy stock exhaust system, so a CAI makes for a quick bump in performance as far as this goes. I'd like to get a nice fat dual exhaust on mine, but the stock one does just fine and sounds great IMO. I'm satisfied with it for now (but I wanna get a new exhaust tip...decided I don't really like mine I guess).

sbrown02

Reaction score
Getwired - So are you saying the +2.5MPG over stock you're seeing is translating into an average of 20.5MPG out of the 6.2L engine without towing anything? And is that with both the CAI and the Edge Evolution, or just the Edge installed?

If so, that's incredible. Why doesn't GM program the engine to run like this all time? Better yet, why don't they give us the ability to switch modes ourselves (without having to buy a unit from Edge) like the flashpacks allow?

Thanks for sharing your insights.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getwired - So are you saying the +2.5MPG over stock you're seeing is translating into an average of 20.5MPG out of the 6.2L engine without towing anything? And is that with both the CAI and the Edge Evolution, or just the Edge installed?

If so, that's incredible. Why doesn't GM program the engine to run like this all time? Better yet, why don't they give us the ability to switch modes ourselves (without having to buy a unit from Edge) like the flashpacks allow?

Thanks for sharing your insights.
HAHAAAA!! :smilielol: 20.5MPG? You're right -- that'd be amazing! NO, unfortunately what I'm saying is that instead of the totally crappy 9.9MPG city I was getting (stock configuration), I went to 10.9 with the CAI, then to 13.5 with the Edge Evo. (And there's the 2.5MPG city improvement.) Haven't been on a long highway trip with the programmer yet to know how that's improved. Both the Edge and Superchips have the capability to program several different levels of tuning into the PCM (4 on Edge). If I got the stickered EPA mileage, I'd probably have never installed any of this stuff. I drive fast and spirited (when I'm by myself), which also partly explains my relatively low fuel economy. If you're getting the stickered EPA mileage, then kudos to you, and you probably won't need a tuner, 'cuz you must drive like grandpa! :D

I would guess that GM doesn't want people farking around with the computer since supposedly they've gone through great lengths to make it a "good tune" for the average driver, and they want a "known quantity" when servicing, so they don't give us this capability. With a tuner, you run the risk of damaging the drivetrain, but I think so far that the benefits clearly outweigh the risks (and cost). I would recommend you run Mobil1 synthetic oil, and you MUST use premium (91+ octane) fuel for a tuner to be effective and not damage the engine.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Kami

Reaction score
In my country we have 91, 95 & 97 octane
I use the 97 all the time

Does the program have 97 octane settings?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would strongly advise anyone to buy a custom tune from someone that uses these pcms at their full potential. The edge is the best over the counter tuner for the oobs but my buddy has been running the superchips on his 07 escalade for quite some time with fantastic results. I'm getting a custom tune for my denali this week and can't wait to try out a few different tunes for this 6.0. A custom tune from blackbearperformance.com, nelson, wheatley or any other reputable tuner with be much cheaper and way better than any hand held programmer can accommodate. I'm having mine done by justin at blackbear for next to nothing and he has ridiculous customer support with free lifetime updates and will make you as many tunes as you like. $250 for a 40+ hp custom tune is way better than $450 for a 15+ hp piece of plastic.

psmit182

Reaction score
OEM Warranty issues?

boostaholic- I just visited the blackbearperformance site. I assume that they send you a new PCM. Are you concerned about having to take yout 'hoe in for some warranty work and having the dealer say no because of the altered pcm?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am the warranty but if anything happens to the motor/trans/tcase I have a good $100 deductible and justin will send me another pcm just have to pay for shipping cuz he keeps all the tunes on record.