Superchips weird noise???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I run my hoe with the 91 oct. tune while using 95 oct. gas, I get a wierd noise from the engine at wot. It is barely noticeable, but its there. It sounds like small detonations but too subtle to be that, :confused2: any ideas? When I use the 87 oct. tune with the same gas it doesnt do it that often. The only answer I got from superchips is that the tune wasnt design with headers in mind. Any ideas, experiences? Anyone knows if that could damage my engine? :eek: thanx

Robert

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this info on another post....

The noise you may be hearing is an "engine ping" when you hear that you need to take your foot off the gas and not gun it. Your pistons may overheat and your engine may die. I run a Hypertech Programmer and it did the same thing I called the Tech's at Hypertech and they suggested that I should run higher Octane gas. I currently use premium 91 octane and programmed it for regular gas (87 octane). That seems to help out. Hope this helps.

I was also told that if you have any other mods ( air intake, tb spacer, etc...) its more likley that it will happen.

Update: I have a hypertech programmer and to be honest I do not notice the increase in horse power. So currently I'm just running it stock. My $.02.

ventu71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies. No, its not a pinging noise, its more like a pop, but since I have the original exhaust I cant tell for sure its a detonation (it sounds like the pop of a short circuit, but barely audible). Yes, using 95 oct gas while the tune for 87, it does help, but every once in a while I hear it.